Thumbs Up
      Received: 4
      Given: 3

Same Old Blues [Judah Lesan]

0 Not allowed!
      Continuation Of:
      No Roads Left
      Song of Inspiration:

Wreckage bits crunched under Bendo's boot, but there was no sign of Magena Dray - or that of the man whom she'd been last seen with. Bits of charred fabrics and broken cargo crates were scattered across the clearing, and trailing down hill was a line of smeared blood, like someone had been dragged from the ship.

The smoke from the crash site was what guided him in the right direction thus far, but the crash itself hadn't yielded as much fruit as he'd hoped. Finding the ship wasn't worth two lead ignots to him if his target had still managed to slip away, everything else was just worthless scrap.

Fact was, he wouldn't get that bounty until he handed Magena's cold corpse over to Rell Tarwen. The megalomaniac Imperial politician - who'd went on a rage and posted an eye-popping bounty. She was paying the price for whatever level of involvement she'd had with him - and in his experience, every time he worked with the Imperial politicians, it felt like slogging through the Galaxy's offal and waste. Probably due to the careless ease with which someone like Rell Tarwen could dispose of someone who'd failed him.

But it also wasn't his job to care or give thought into their reasoning. He was just handling business, and he couldn't let himself be bothered with the details. Whatever the reason, her misfortune would be his fortune - as long as he managed to nab her before anyone else had the chance to - and the countdown was ticking. The longer he stayed at the crash sight, the greater the chance that that good-for-nothing hound would be able to snatch away his prized bounty. The notion would have infuriated Bendo, if any such word of passion could have been applied to the cold-unfeeling logic that dictated his thinking.

As it was, Bendo headed back to his ship to stock up on supplies for the hunt ahead - someone was suffering from a wound, and they wouldn't have gotten far.
      Last edited by Magena Dray; 11-10-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Thumbs Up
      Received: 45
      Given: 1

1 Not allowed!
      Judah had done his best to use the force to pad the crash, but it had not been enough. Had Magena let him train her talents than perhaps the outcome would have been different. It didn't matter anymore. Judah knew this was the last time he would see her. She couldn't be honest with him about why she always ran off. All he wanted to hear was that she had loved him at one point... maybe she still did, but it would certainly make the way she popped in out easier to deal with.

Most of those thoughts were not in his head as Magena was having to use him as a crutch. They just needed to find a place where he could heal her. With a bounty hunter on their tail it would not be easy to keep going while Mags was losing blood.

"Dammit, I hate the fact we were set up," he said as they kept pushing forward. "This is exactly why you should have stayed with me. I'm good for you... keep you out of trouble."

Judah didn't care if Mags didn't want to hear it, it was true.

"You're as bad as my son sometimes... but he's a teenager so I expect it from him."

Clearly Judah was used to playing the role of father as he was in that mode in the moment. Parenthoodhad made Judah someone Mags might not recognize, or even like, but thought he was getting good at it. He'd made his mistakes sure, but they had helped him move ahead.

"Let's get you healed, and get this bounty hunter off our tails so we can get off this planet. The sooner we get this done, the sooner we can get this talk out of the way that's still looking over our heads."

At least Judah could admit this wasn't the time to continue it.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      She was tumbling, dragging her feet, hardly able to keep a good pace and finding it impossible to ignore the sharp bursts of pain shooting through her sides, ribs, and legs. Although she was expecting it - because of the giant gaping hole in her side - that knowledge didn't make it easier to bear. BUT! It was keeping her adrenaline pumping, and with her adrenaline going, she could find the will to move, and not just simple become dead weight. “Over there,” Magena said, pointing at an old operations center. They were lucky to have landed on Yalln where there were numerous places they could hide out - many old and abandoned Imperial Bases in the forests, not to mention the dense foliage would make for some great coverage. They wouldn’t be such easy targets in case they had to run.

“We might be able to scavenge some medpacs, if we’re lucky.” She heaved, inhaled a sharp breath that filled her chest, and ground her teeth together. “Now shut up, quit patronizing me, and let me lean into you.” Magena pressed harder into Judah's side, trying to put pressure on the wound and control the steady flow of blood, the bottom of his jacket effectively soaking up a good portion of the red-oozing fluid.

She would have slugged him in the shoulder, had she the energy for it. Where’d he get off on telling her she was the equivalent of a child?! At this point, she wasn't really looking forward to that talk he was wanting to have. She groaned her displeasure, as a response. "Oh...Gods...spare me...just, give me up to the Bounty Hunter now. Please."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      They had to hide, but Judah also needed time to treat the wound. At this rate Judah was only concerned about their survival, especially Magena's. Whether she liked it or not Judah had never been able to rid himself of his feeling for her. Everyone who knew of their history likely knew it. Hell, Magena knew his feelings hadn't ever changed. She was just never in a place to admit she actually had them too. Judah just wanted to hear her say it once, to know he was right, but she was too stubborn to let him have that satisfaction.

"I'm not patronizing you, Mags. If we don't get this taken care of you're going to bleed out. I'm not going to let you die on my watch," he said in a stern rebuttal.

Magena didn't get it, and likely never would, but Judah could never abandon her. He'd caused enough trouble by being able to leave his wife at home for the sake of the Jedi far too many times. Judah was done with that kind of life. For once he was going to think about himself and those he cared about. Since that included Magena's daughter, that meant he was doubly interested and keeping her alive.

They ducked into the old base and went straight for the medical bay. Hopefully there was something to clot the blood. Magena had told him no Jedi, so his lightsabers were not with him. Judah could cauterize the wound otherwise.

Judah rifled through the compartments and found nothing.

"Dammit," he said slamming the last cabinet closed. Judah closed his eyes. It was going to cost him more energy than he needed to give up, but he found the wound in Magena's aura. Stretching across it be knit her back together. Flesh stitched itself, weaving as though it had never been torn. When it was finished, Judah propped himself up against the medbed he had gotten Magena to lay on.

"I promised you I'd get you out of this, not hand you to the bounty hunter. Like it or not, if it kills me, I'm going to keep my word."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      There were few worlds in the Galaxy as unique as Yalln. In the center of the planet was a strong, sturdy, industrial world - anywhere beyond that? Vast, unsettled lands. If it hadn’t been for the crash site, and his uncanny tracking ability, then he might have been searching the planet for days. He was having a pretty good run of luck lately.

Seldomly did wounded animals run any more than a quarter mile, by now the Zeltron and whoever was with her (assuming there was another, based on the footprints), would have had to stop to treat her wounds. He’d been following the blood thread, and the longer he followed, the more coagulated the spots became.

As he neared the end of the trail, an old abandoned base came into view. Clever.

He shrugged off the rifle on his shoulder to check and replace the powerpack before he went in.

Bendo was ready to get this over with and go home.

"Ready or not, here I come."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      They had to keep moving. There was no other option. Judah was weak, and even though Mags was healed she had lost a lot of blood. It was only a matter of time before they were found out, and with a bounty hunter on their tail, Judah was certain it would happen sooner than later.

"C'mon Mags, we don't have a choice."

Judah pushed himself up and grabbed the woman's arm, draping it over his shoulders as they had been moving before. This time Judah needed her as much as she had needed him.

"We're only getting out of this together from this point on."

This wasn't exactly what Judah had in mind when he said he would help. Judah sighed as he remembered he told Kestrel and JJ he would be back for them after a week. He chuckled.

"You know, I wonder what our kids are up to. Your daughter Kestrel and my son JJ are supposed to be working together. If I'm honest that works about as well as trying to get you to work with me when you don't want to..."

Judah was certainly making small talk. He was trying to keep their minds off the bounty hunter.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Magena tried to muster the strength she needed, "Judah, just go." Selfless? Magena? Who would have thought her capable of such a thing. "I shouldn't have brought you into this." Despite the soft protests, Judah got her back on her feet, she sagged against him. "Damn, frakking, bantha poodoo." They were both too weak to consider anything other than outrun the hunter, trying to go up against him would likely prove fatal. She didn't like the odds stacking against them. "If you insist on fighting to the last..." she gave a disgruntled sigh, doing her best to limp along, support Judah, and not topple both of them to the ground. "Then there might be some blasters in the armory, if we can find it, it's our best bet."

It was unfeasible to hope that they were both making it out alive, but Judah had always been a dreamer, looking for that bright spot in the rest of the darkness. She wouldn't take it from him, but she'd be damned if he was the casualty of her own stupidity.

When the subject of Kes and JJ was brought up, Magena smiled. "Probably because they take after their parents, who both have such cooperative and amiable personalities," She chuckled softly, then turned somber and reflective. "You have to protect her, Judah. Promise me you will. She has the equal potential for good and evil, your involvement will keep her on the right path, I know it."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      "Nope, you know I promised to get you out of this, and leaving you behind isn't going to do that," Judah said as he lifted her through the colorful choice of words she used as he got her back to her feet.

Judah didn't like their odds either, but he had gotten out of worse before. His arm and several fingers might have been lost, but there had been far more hopeless situations Judah had survived to this point. Did Magena even know about what he had endured? Sure they had often talked whenever she needed his help, but rarely did they talk about the things Judah had been through. They were solving her problems, constantly.

"A blaster is better than nothing, but I wish I had my lightsabers," Judah sighed. "It's a moot point, but you remember any of that training?"

Again Judah was trying to keep their minds off the bounty hunter chasing them. As Judah slowly regained his strength he could sense they were being followed. Hopefully Magena wasn't picking up on his thoughts. The natural empathic abilities the Zeltrons possessed could ruin whatever Judah was trying to do.

"Right, because the only time their parents weren't arguing was when they were engaged in other activities.... Oh force I hope I made the right decision leaving them alone..."

There was a sudden image of his son putting the moves on Kestrel, or the opposite. Suddenly Judah was concerned their behavior was a bit too much like their respective parents. Magena wanted Kestrel safe. Judah just nodded at first. Here he was again, unable to say no. He wasn't going to because Kestrel was his Padawan already. The weight that placed on him was something he took seriously regardless of who Kestrel was to him.

"You know I will treat her as if she were my own daughter," Judah said as they approached the armory.

Judah opened the door, and sure enough something finally went right for them. Blasters lined the walls, and even a few detonators. They could make a stand.

"Dammit Magena," Judah said as he realized this was is. "You really don't want to do this now. I'm going to admit for once that getting us out of here alive... we might die trying, and here I am making another promise to you. If we get out of this... it's not too late to come back with me rather than disappear. She wants to find you, Kestrel does. I'm training her in an attempt to slow her down a bit... before she gets herslef in trouble."

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      "A little, your efforts were not entirely wasted on me." It was impossible not to hear Judah's thoughts and feelings. The copious blood loss, and their long trek through the forest terrain, had tired her beyond the point where she could control or build up defenses against them. She could feel passed Judah as well, the closer Bendo became, the more the darkness wrapped around her like a cloak, whispering misfortunes in ear of what was to come. Magena managed to distract her from what she was feeling by focusing in on Judah's words, her lips twitching into a smile. "They're not us, you worry too much. Besides...you must have trusted them enough to leave, now trust they'll succeed. Who knows, maybe they will exceed your expectations."

"I know." She had some peace in the knowledge that Judah would be there, that Kestrel would have some stability through what would soon become her most turbulent years.

Magena tried to stand on her feet again. Such a basic thing, standing. One rarely gave it thought, but such a basic thing was almost a struggle because of what they'd went through. She tried to draw on the Force, but found that it wasn't very useful to call on an ability that had atrophied through years of leaving it untouched. Slowly she made her way to the wall and picked up a blaster rifle from its dusty resting place. It was slightly heavy, but she wasn't going to find her perfect match here. She dropped it into Judah's palms.
      "How does this feel? Been a while since you've shot one?" she picked up another from the wall, a pistol. The weight felt right in her hands. Good. Even if she could barely stand, her aim would be on point. Magena made sure the safety was on, checked the power pack to see if it was charged, then tucked it securely into her belt.

While Judah was busy talking about going back, about Kestrel, Magena was busy arming herself. A knife tucked in her boot, a few grenades clipped to her belt loops - maybe not the best solution, but she had to put them somewhere on her person.

After more moments of him talking, Magena finally turned to him, exasperated, trying her best to hold it together. "Judah, we both know that only one of us is making it out of here alive." drawers were opened and rummaged through, "And I intend for that to be you," while he had his back turned towards her, Magena took the pistol from her belt and slammed the butt of it against the back of his head.

---------------

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      "Maybe they will," Judah said knowing that Magena was right. Their kids were not them. Even though they bickered like they were, JJ and Kes would have their own story. He needed to trust they would handle their mission well, and that they would find their own path. Still, Judah couldn't help but see a little of his relationship with Magena in them.

He sighed.

Holding the blaster in his hand didn't seem right anymore. Sure he could still fire one like he had never stopped using them. Judah just didn't like to. Ever since surrendering his blaster to Satkia on his first day of training Judah had never looked back. It was the one thing that had signified his old life, one he never wanted to return to, yet here he was. Judah was dressed like a smuggler, carrying a blaster, and about to use it to stay alive.

They rummaged through what they could, staying busy to avoid the inevitability of the confrontation they were about to have.

----------

MEANWHILE

He could smell them. Blood and sweat wafted down the corridor. It was fresh. The bounty hunter was closing in on them. His arrival was imminent. The pair would not outrun him, and the bounty on the Zeltron would be his. There were a lot of credits at stake, but everything had worked according to plan. It was only a matter of time.

As he closed in on them, he began to hear voices. He was close.

----------

Judah wanted to respond to what Magena had just said. What did she mean only one of them was making it out of there alive? Judah was going to make sure that they both did. He was about to turn around and tell her so when he felt something hit him in the back of the head.....

The room went dark.........

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Magena was able to catch Judah’s falling body and gently laid him down against the concrete floor. This was the last time she was going to see him, she knew. Fingers gently brushed away wisps of his brown hair and a she traced a finger along the side of his face before pressing her lips gently against his. “I love you, Lesan.” She gasped, for years she had denied the truth at every turn. Of course, leave it to Magena for it to take moments before her death to admit the truth, none the less to a man who would never hear what she should have told him years ago.

Eyes misted and she breathed out, packing down the emotions rising within. There was no time for tears. She yanked a holodisc from her satchel and transferred it into the pocket of Judah’s jacket. Magena was incapable of many things, but in this she would see that Judah would live. “See you on the other side of the Force someday, Jedi boy.”

Running into the hall, Magena looked both ways and took one of the thermal detonators from her belt loop. She focused her mind, reached into the Force and felt for the location of the Trandoshin.

If this was going to be her last rodeo, then she was going to go out with a bang.

Activating the grenade, she rolled it down the right side of the hallway near the doorway that seemed to already be collapsing beneath its own weight and stumbled down the opposite end to get away from the blast. This way the Trandoshin would have to find another way to capture her, and Judah would not become collateral damage in this. She cast a glance over her shoulder and smirked at the brief glimpse of her work, with blaster fire heard behind a wall of concrete crumbling down, filling the area full with a thick grey cloud of dust and debris.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The blast had bought her time, had distracted the hunter away from Judah like intended, but the bounty hunter inevitably caught up to her. The countdown was on.

The reptilian dragged her from the building and into a clearing just outside. The hilt of his gun slammed into the middle of her back and brought her crashing to her knees, leaving Magena breathless. Fingers clenched the earth and slowly she righted herself.

“Any last words?” He asked, blaster pointed into the back of her skull. "Not that it actually matters."

“Yeah. I've got some last words for ya. Feth you.”

The sound of blaster fire rang through the air.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      When Judah woke up Magena was gone and the taste of her lip gloss was on his lips.

”Feth it all,” Judah said as he rubbed the back of his head and ran after her. At this point he didn’t care if the bounty hunter found out Judah was a Jedi. He was going to save Mags and if he had to, he would kill the bounty hunter. Judah wasn’t thinking like a Jedi and he knew it.

He reached out to her through the force. She was just ahead, out of the facility in a clearing. The hunter was with her.

Blaster fire rang through the air.

”NOOOOOOOOO!”

The lightsaber Judah kept hidden in his prosthetic cake shooting out of the palm of his hand. It had been his favorite modification to the arm N’yssa had made him. The sapphire blade ignited, and the hunter’s head was removed from the body before he could even blink.

Judah dropped the blade and ran to Magena. He scooped her up into his arms.

“Damn you, Magena Dray,” he said as he brought her forehead to his. “I could have saved you... we could have...”

Judah looked at the wound. He sighed knowing there was nothing he could do and that time was short.

“I love you, Mags. Always have...”

His lips pressed to hers. If this was to be his last memory then it would be one never to forget.”

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      Her attention had been caught by Judah, his sudden appearance throwing off the hunter who's aim shook, but had still pulled the trigger. Magena felt all breath exit her body on impact of the blaster bolt shooting through the middle of her back.

She did not notice the hunters body crumple in a headless heap behind her. Nor the moments that followed after that.

All of her focus was on the person who'd pulled her into his arms and the only thing she could think of was the life she had wasted and the family she was leaving behind.

A shaking hand reached up to cup his face, her breathing slowing considerably as darkness edged in closer. She could barely register his lips against hers and could not return any sort of affection as a numbing sensation began to overwhelm her body. Magena knew that death was here, that it had still come for her.

Thinking back on her life, death actually felt like a welcome relief. There were things she would always regret. Not admitting to loving Judah, a person she'd taken for granted one too many times, was only one of her many sins. Not doing enough to raise her daughters, to protect them, another.

She tried to offer a weak smile at his admission and tears streaked down her face. Unable to form words, Magena reached one last time into the Force to touch his mind. In this, she could right one wrong.

'I am sorry for everything I have ever put you through, for the trouble and heartache I caused you. I love you, Judah, I always have, and always will. I wish that I might have told you all of this sooner...please do not grieve me and know that I will always be with you.'

And like all things in this universe, Magena Dray became one with the living Force.