Thumbs Up
      Received: 41
      Given: 45

Tis the season to be merry.

2 Not allowed!

Eve of Feté Week
      Starkos Residence
      Lake Radu, Corellia

While festive seasonal music played in the background, Katara's sapphire gaze stared at the near perfect Noble Fir that her father had helped bring into the lake house before he left for a hunting trip. She hadn't realized the tree was so tall when cutting it down; keeping to the Starkos tradition of getting a fresh one from the mountains for Feté. The Corellian had found enough working lights to string all around it, but now Red couldn't figure out how in the nine hells to put the star on the top unless she tipped the tree and risked knocking off the already hanging ornaments. It just wasn't the same without the family decoration perched on top of the tree's pinnacle, but maybe it was karma as there was no family this year to enjoy it with.

In years past, Judah or JJ would have floated it up atop the greenery using the Force while they partook in hot cocoa with a shot of Corellian rum for the adults, but neither Jedi were there to do that this year, nor would they as there were no expectations why the two Lesan men would be though a soft invitation had been included in the care package of holiday goodies sent to the Jedi temple on Yavin VIII in her teenage son's name. The Starkos-Lesan divorce had been hard on everyone, but especially on the youngest of their two children. Judah Junior just couldn't understand why his parents, but more so his mother, had to end things with his father if she still loved him and visa versa. Sasha understood more as she was older, an adult now, and had had relationship troubles of her own.

Sighing, Katara put the crystal-like star down on the coffee table for now and grabbed the stockings that were in the crate on the chair nearby. There were five; one for Judah, Katara, Sasha, JJ, and Pops. She was tempted to just put them away, but hung them up any ways upon the log mantle over the river stone fireplace that was a center piece of the great room that had a beautiful visage of Lake Radu and a smaller mountain range on the other side. Coronet Peak stood tall and ever watchful on the front side of the Starkos residence. It was majestic country at any time of the year, but with the dusting of snow it was like a little piece of heaven... Well at least to the spirited Corellisi, who lived for the four seasons the Core world had in store for those lucky enough to call it home.
      Last edited by Katara Starkos; 12-12-2017 at 02:58 AM.

| Star Security Consultants, Inc. |

Mood:
      Sneaky

Thumbs Up
      Received: 21
      Given: 0

1 Not allowed!
      JJ was sitting in the co-pilot chair on Kestrel’s ship, his knee bouncing up and down. There were many reasons to be nervous, but the primary being this was the first time he’d seen his mother since she had asked Judah for a divorce. The young Lesan was angry at both his parents for not making an attempt to fix what had been broken. Judah hadn’t been the same since, running off and on, leaving him and Kes behind for what... women, drink, gambling, JJ didn’t know.

Katara has reached out, hoping the whole family could be together, but Judah still hadn’t returned from whatever mission he was on. Maybe he would meet them there, but for now it was JJ and Kes. The two had recently started dating, and as much as JJ was frustrated he wanted his mother to meet the girl he had feelings for. Though the tension, another reason to be nervous about, Kes was the daughter of Magena Dray.

”Just remember your mom was the woman my dad was always running off to save. I don’t know what she’s going to think about this...”

This was JJ’s way of stalling. They were in the ship, outside the house, but JJ hadn’t budged.
      Last edited by Judah Lesan Jr.; 12-16-2017 at 01:13 AM.

Mood:
      Happy

Thumbs Up
      Received: 6
      Given: 41

1 Not allowed!
      The ship powered down and she cast a glance over to JJ who’d been fidgeting in his seat since they broke atmosphere. Kestrel knew some of why he was feeling anxious about being there, and the situation with his parents certainly caused her to feel sympathy for him, but her perspective on coming to Corellia was a little different. There was a little nervousness there, certainly, and the comment JJ made about her Mom was not entirely lost on her, but even that point didn’t seem to sour or take away from her cheerful mood.

She had been looking forward to this trip ever since he invited her to come with him.

Being able to see the place Judah Junior grew up, and the idea of spending a holiday with him, made her feel excited. She never spent the holidays with anyone, but this year was different. The new life she’d found with the Jedi had blessed her with friends, family, people whom she could find reason to celebrate with.

She’d even scavenged enough to have credits to buy gifts! Wrapping had been a nightmare, she didn’t know how, resulting in a lot of tape and beautiful paper being harmed in the process. In the end she’d scrapped the paper wrapping, and put the presents into decorative bags. It was the thought that counted more than anything else, right?

“Hopefully, she’ll realize I’m not my Mom.” Kestrel answered, unstrapping from her restraining belt and turning to look at him. She scooted to the edge of her seat and reached out, taking his hand into her own with a smile, trying to sooth his nerves, along with the anger she felt stewing in him.

“Come on...we’ve been imprisoned, shot at, and faced down Imperials...how difficult can this be?”

Mood:
      Sneaky

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      "Oh she will notice. I'm not so much concerend about that as much as the reminder. It wasn't exactly a bright spot in my parents marriage that my dad was always running off to bail your mom out whenever she called."

JJ didn't want to say anything, but it was a lot like how he left them alone on the last mission and just vanished. The younger Judah did everything he could to stay quiet about the fact he suspected Judah had run off to help Magena Dray. Kes would have insisted on tracking them both down, and JJ wasn't going to get her hopes up if he was wrong. It was just a hunch.

The boy finally got out of the co-pilot seat.

"You don't know my mom. Corellian and Redheaded. She's got the temper of both. I love her dearly, but if I had my choice of facing down an army of rancors and my mom when she is mad... I'd pick the rancors."

As usual, JJ had built things up in his mind, partly because he was nervous. How could things be right without his dad there? Yes, he'd missed holiday celebrations before, but this was the first major get together where he wasn't still married to his mother. That ate at the young boy because he couldn't imagine a world where Judah Lesan was not married to Katara Starkos. Why was JJ mad? JJ was made because he had to live in a world he didn't want to think could possibly exist. Why couldn't they just work it out?

JJ breathed in and let it go. He took Kes' hand because he wanted to. They were seeing each other, officially, and he wasn't going to hide it. JJ needed his mom to be okay with it. They walked down the loading ramp, and in through the front door. JJ still had his security code, and Katara hadn't changed it. Her letter in the care package she had sent let him know he was welcome home anytime. Why not now?

His more mature voice called through the house... it would sound more like his father's than it had when he moved to the temple permanently.

"Mom... we're here! Where you at!?"

The point of no return. In truth, JJ was happy to be home. The smell was familiar to him, and the sights were too. He wasn't going to admit it, but the boy needed to see his mother, hug her, and let her know she was missed.

Corellian Red
      Mood:
      Daring

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      Katara noticed a ship flying low over the lake coming from the south as she looked out the guest bedroom's window after putting fresh linen on the king-sized bed. She didn't recognize the light freighter at first glance, but it seemed to be making a vector directly for the lake house. The roar of engines overhead followed by a light thud told the Corellian that someone had put down on the landing pad in the compound. Could it be he came?!

The redhead quickly finished putting the room back together that her father had slept in, then gathered the dirty sheets off the floor and dumped them down the upstair's laundry shoot. By the time Katara had done that, the front door opened with a ding for security sake as the alarm was off, then a voice she had not heard in a very long time called out for her. Deeper and richer like his father's...

From the top of the wooden staircase on the loft's landing dressed in a casual outfit, Katara beamed down at the sight of her son in the foyer of the log cabin home... oh and a friend, who he was holding hands with. That latter part was put aside as the spirited Corellisi made her way down the steps.

"Judah!" Kat called back, both excited and nervous to see her estranged teenage son again. She didn't hesitate and enveloped the youngest Lesan in a warm embrace once down the stairs. "I take it you got my care package and more so the message. I'm so glad you came home for Feté." Oh my he's grown!

It was hard not to be happy about that. It was hopefully a start for them to rebuild their mother-son relationship, or at least Kat hoped so. She wished deep down things hadn't gone the way they had, but what was done was done. Now to make the best of it, right? Katara knew JJ was mad at her, but what was she supposed to do when Judah senior didn't seem to want to be with her anymore or more so share a life. Too many secrets and not enough communicating had done the once solid couple in. Love sometimes just wasn't enough glue to hold things together when apart for too long even if it apparently was still there.

Sapphire blues then went to the young girl that stood next to JJ. She has a familiar look to her... "Hello, I'm Katara Starkos. I am glad you came too with my Jedi-setting son of mine," Kat chuckled warmly, then motioned for them to move further into the house.

"Please come in... and make yourselves at home. I just so happen to have Corellian chili in the slow cooker if you're hungry, and fresh corn bread on the counter cooling."
      Last edited by Katara Starkos; 12-18-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Mood:
      Happy

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      "Unless she has a mouth full of razor sharp teeth, the putrid breath of a thousand rotting bodies, and is more than sixteen feet tall...then I doubt she's scarier." Kestrel pulled up the glove on her right hand and tightened the strap to make sure it wouldn't slip, then scooped up her jacket from the arm of the pilot chair to put it on. Kestrel knew for herself how scary an actual rancor was, and there was no way a redheaded Corellian could compare to that.

Pulled by JJ through the threshold of his home, there was a brief moment before Katara arrived where Kestrel stood frozen in the doorway, awe struck with her mouth slightly agape, pink eyes as wide as they possibly could grow. "Holy sithspawn...I could fit three of my sand huts in this place!" she murmered in a low breath and gulped, it was a stretch. More like two.

When JJ called for his mother, Kestrel jerked her hand away from him and almost instantly regretting doing so. It wasn't that she was ashamed to be seen with him, but because of what JJ said to her before they left the ship was stuck in her head now. 'Remember, your Mom was the woman my Dad was always running off to save.' Oh, she remembered alright, and she'd never wanted to hide the fact that she was Magena's daughter more than now. Despite her rational mind deducing that JJ was being dramatic before, all the sensible thoughts in the Galaxy wouldn't help now that the moment was upon them. So, what happened? Kestrel reacted to those feelings and did what she always did with the unknown. Cautiously dip her toe in the water to test how it was before jumping in neck deep. Yup, that was the way to go.

After all, she had very little experience with mothers and their way. Magena wasn't there for her, she had given her up to Tavid for reasons still unknown to her, and the other women that frequented the cantina were of the rough and tumble sort. There was no telling what she could expect, especially from the mother of a boy she was interested in...who would rather face an army of rancors than an angry mother.

When she finally did see JJ's mother come on scene and rushing to greet her son with an embrace and abundant joy, some of Kestrels worries dissipated. Katara certainly didn't seem like a vicious rancor. At least not yet.

When his mothers gaze glanced on her, Kestrel smiled. The redheaded Corellian seemed very accommodating, despite having an unaccounted for guest. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Kestrel...D..." Kestrel paused for the briefest of seconds, tongue at the roof of her mouth. She clicked it lightly, tread carefully. "D'or...you can just call me Kes." not the smoothest of saves, but she hoped if she moved on before it could be questioned, that it would be okay. "And thank you for the welcome. Normally I don't celebrate holidays like this, and I would have been stuck at the Jedi Temple if JJ hadn't insisted I come. Your son is a very good friend that way."

With Katara's insistence, Kestrel followed the two (and her nose) towards the kitchen, feeling a little more than peckish from the long flight. The whole time she kept glancing around at their surroundings, and then to the backside of JJ, trying to figure out why he'd neglected mentioning that his family was well off. Regardless of why, the lake house was certainly a lot to take in, especially for a simple desert girl from Tatooine.

Mood:
      Sneaky

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      JJ heard his name. His mother was the only one who didn't call him JJ. Whatever tension he felt was gone when she came around the corner and hugged him. He was a mama's boy and being there melted everything away. There was no way he could just stay mad at her for what happened. Now if only he could get his parents in the same room. Maybe they would fix things and get life back on track.

"I did get it... all of my favorite things. If you were trying to bribe me into coming home it worked..." JJ smiled so she knew he was teasing. Well a few minutes ago he wouldn't have been. Most of this was his own making. He sighed as they let go.

Kes chimed in once Katara greeted her and JJ watched. She almost gave her last name, and JJ nearly winced. The more Kes talked though, the more he realized his mother would not be happy if she found out later they were trying to keep something a secret that wasn't a big deal. Fortunately his thoughts were distracted by the chili because a teenage boy's stomach wants what it wants. They moved toward the kitchen, JJ blushing a bit at all the flattery Kes had put on him. They hadn't always been friends, and they were exploring what being more than friends meant for them. So far it just meant friends that held hands... That wasn't bad, but...

Once again JJ was distracted by the ladle and a big bowl. He filled it with chili and cut a piece of cornbread for himself as he sat at the table.

"Right so mom I know how you don't like secrets because of dad and all... so I'm just gonna get it on the table. Kes is Magena's daughter and she came to Yavin looking for her mother. Dad started training her and... well... we um... we're trying to figure out what we are, but the latest term has been she's my girlfriend."

Being honest wasn't going to hurt anything right? Mach 7 with his hair not on fire, foot in mouth Judah Jr. He had inherited quite the combination from his parents.

Corellian Red
      Mood:
      Daring

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      "Well we couldn't have that now, could we... The holidays are the perfect time for family and friends to get together and share their blessings. I'm glad my son saw fit to bring you with him then, Kes," Kat smiled using the girl's shortened name as she requested, then turned on her booted foot and led the way through the great room of the log cabin-styled home to the kitchen area.

Katara couldn't get over the fact how much JJ had grown and matured since last seeing him as her sapphire blues took her son in from head to toe again as he helped himself to the chili and cornbread. The redhead was five feet nine in bare feet and with a pair of two inch heeled boots on her youngest was now taller than her. It seemed just like yesterday she was holding the baby boy in her arms after he was born and saying yes to his father... They had done things backwards; Jediboy and Red ~ kids first, marriage second. Sasha had been conceived some three years prior to that during what could only be called a rather interesting booty call as Judah had been under the influence of a Dark Spirit at the time when the lovers met up on Coruscant.

The Corellian just shook her head as JJ got his food and basically forgot his guest as his teenage stomach took over. Katara handed Kestrel a bowl and plate for the food with some utensils, then pulled out a plastic container of blue milk from the fridge and a couple of glasses from the cupboard. She walked over to the dining table and set them down. That is when JJ let the elephant in the room out..........

The first immediate musing that came to mind was... Was she his? But then that brief moment of jealous anger turned back to mindfulness as there was no way the two would be involved romantically if that was true, right? I mean Judah senior wouldn't let that happened! So therefore the only way to think of this is: the sins of a parent shouldn't befall their child and to accept the way things were and who they were as an individual. Magena was Kestrel's mother and that was that; no more, no less.

"I'm happy for you, and Kes... truly," Kat offered sincerely with a small yet warm smile gracing her lips and blue orbs gazing between the padawans, then she added after pouring milk into the glasses. "Just learn never to take each other for granted, hmm, and honesty is always the best policy," the redhead nodded sagely sharing pearls of wisdom that she had learned the hard way, then the Corellisi took the milk container back to the fridge thinking how a tall glass of wine would be good right about now.
      Last edited by Katara Starkos; 01-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Thumbs Up
      Received: 46
      Given: 1

1 Not allowed!
      Judah took in a deep breath as he started to land the ship near the lake house owned by his ex-wife. This had been a place he used to be able to call home, but now... He let the breath out with a sigh. The plan had not been to go anywhere near the lake house, but when Judah had returned to Yavin, he learned JJ and Kes had gone. At least they were on friendly terms, Judah just didn't know how friendly they were. However, this was not going to look good, not when Kes was the daughter of the one woman Katara wished would just disappear.

The woman got that wish at least. Judah still could not erase the image of her dying in his arms from his mind. He didn't want to be here, not when the man had no emotional energy to deal with the awkwardness this was bound to bring up.

He sighed again, and walked down the ramp and into the house.

Everything was the same as he remembered. Kat went all out for Fete like always. The tree was decked out, the smell of her chili and cornbread was on the air, and the warm feeling of being home drew him further into the inviting home. Nothing had changed, except everything had changed. This wasn't Judah's home, and Kat was not going to be happy to see him. She was going to be surprised, and likely angry when Judah lowered the boom on the teens for running off while he was gone.

Gone. Gone was the part Katara was going to be mad about.

"Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy," Judah said as he leaned against the post of the entryway of the kitchen with his arms folded and eyes zeroed in on the padawans. "Didn't I tell you to wait for me to get back before running off somewhere?"

Judah brought his eyes up to look at Katara. A dozen of lavender Corellian roses floated their way to her. It was a peace offering as Judah knew they were her favorite colored rose. A grand romantic overture was not what he needed here with a dozen red, but this in itself could be seen that way. There was something about the moment that seemed all too familiar, but here he they were. The only person mission was Sasha, but Judah was certain she was still mad at him. She had her mother's hair and temper to match.

"I hope I'm not unwelcome..."

Yup... this was awkward.

Mood:
      Happy

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      JJ was at it again with feet first. Just...straight up laid it all out.

Kestrel looked at him with a horrified glance. So much for testing out the waters! Maybe they should have talked more about how they were going to handle telling his mom beforehand so they were on the same page. Or maybe this was one of those times where she needed to trust that JJ knew what he was doing. This was his family after all!

Besides, there was nothing to be done about it now that the direcat was out of the bag, except wait.

So, she did.

Kestrel waited in anticipation of some kind of backlash.

It would only be natural, given the circumstances. There were quite a few who had a bone to pick with her mother, JJs mom probably more so than some of the others, because of the history there. Kestrel silently went to take her seat across from JJ with her own food. The chair squeaked across the floor between the moments of silence as she pulled it out. Kestrel visibly flinched and plopped down, setting down the utensils and bowl on the surface, deciding that she’d better wait to sample it when her stomach stopped turning on itself.

Trying to gauge Katara’s reaction was difficult. She didn’t know her well enough to know if she was agitated or not, but the teenager thought she caught a brief moment of tension in the woman’s shoulders as the name sunk in. Magena’s daughter. Dray.

That was another thing, something that was a separate issue altogether, but...if Magena was popping in and out of the Lesan’s life, why didn’t any of them seem to know that she’d had children? Why had her mom been so secretive about it?

Why did that woman do anything she did?

“I'm happy for you, and Kes... truly,"

Kestrel blinked. A smile. A small one. That wasn’t what she was expecting at all. Katara wasn’t sending her packing? Kestrel let go of a breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding. Seemed her original thought was correct, and there was regret that she’d tried to be dishonest so quickly. That wasn't the kind of person she normally was, but she'd panicked and well, here they were. Despite that, it seemed like Katara was going to give Kes a chance and Kestrel needed to prove that she was worthy of it.

JJ had made the right call.

"Just learn never to take each other for granted, hmm, and honesty is always the best policy,"

Kestrel smiled when Katara started giving them advice and glanced at JJ to see his reaction.

JJ was lucky to have a mom who seemed to genuinely care. That said, she still inwardly winced a little at the honesty bit. That feeling was compounded when she heard the voice of Judah coming in clear from the doorway, backing that up.

She turned a quarter in her seat and stared at the Jedi, head canting to the side, lofting a brow. Kestrel didn’t know if she really liked the sternness in his voice, especially since he’d been missing without a word to either her or JJ in weeks. She had been less worried than JJ, but it bothered her nonetheless.

Judah should have been the one to bring the teenagers to Corellia, and they only made it in the first place because Kes had her own ship. “Well, we didn’t know when that might be, you didn’t contact us after Coyerti, so I brought JJ home. You can’t really call that ‘running off’ when you're going home.”

Mood:
      Sneaky

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Okay so JJ felt bad that he didn’t get a bowl for Kes, but teenagers and their stomachs rarely thought about manners when they were hungry. He had already started eating when his mother took care of it. The young Jedi shrugged his shoulders hoping it wasn’t going to bite him in the butt and looked at Kes.

”Ummm sorry. I got caught up in the smell and a growling stomach.”

There could have been more of a conversation, but Katara decided to talk to them about honesty. JJ wanted to role his eyes because he knew where this came from. Almost as if on cue, Judah Lesan, Jedi Knight, walked into the room. This was about to be bad.

“Dad...”

JJ looked over his shoulder.

Kes said exactly what JJ was thinking, but he wasn’t going to say it. Katara wasn’t going to be happy about what Kes just said either. Happy Holiday just went out the window.