SWRPG resident Zombie
      Mood:
      Inspired

Thumbs Up
      Received: 32
      Given: 45

First Encounters (Kit Baxter)

0 Not allowed!
      The sky was clear and the brightest shade of blue without any sign of clouds, or snow on the horizon. Such a bright, sunny day was rare on the frozen planet of Yavin 8. From her vantage point on one of the many neighbouring mountain tops, N’yssa Fairfax could see all of the Jedi Temple, from the Great Hall Entrance, to the compound, the hanger and even spot the distant building of the Tavern. Small dots repressing the students, visitors, Jedi and mechanics roamed around moving to and fro from building to building. It was difficult for the Jedi Master to say goodbye to such a place. It had been her home for so long, years… decades.

How could she just pick up her roots here and move to Ossus? Ossis where their new Temple now stood, complete and already housing several students and Jedi. While the second temple began to picking up on the popularity among the younger Jedi, N’yssa decided to remain behind and keep an eye on the old temple on Yavin 8.

It was much quieter now. Peaceful but an empty feeling taking root. N’yssa hoped that she’ll see the day when not only the Ossus Temple, but this one too will both be filled with wide eyed students ready to learn the ways of the Jedi, understand the Force and grow in the Light. Until then, their numbers will have to be split between the two planets.

Taking a deep breath, the pink haired woman stood and stretched on the rock outcrop. Her meditation was over for the day, time to return to the Temple and look after all the administration work that was required. Picking her way down the mountain edge, using the Force to help her balance, finding the right rocks that will hold her weight. Reaching the bottom, N’yssa strolled through the forests, taking her time to enjoy the life that managed to survive the planets harsh environment. Yavin 8 may be harsh, cold and bitter, but to the Jedi Master it was a great place to harden any Jedi, to focus their mind and find their true path.

In the distance over the last ridge N’yssa spotted the Compound looming before her, the glass dome top where they grew more plants and flowers for the comfort of many Jedi and students. In the back of her mind, N’yssa wondered what to have for her evening meal. Lately she’d been using the kitchens to cook up her own recipes, home ones from Naboo. No matter how long it’s been, there were still days she desired something to remind her of her home planet, her village and her past life before becoming a Jedi.

Thumbs Up
      Received: 3
      Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
      This new life was strange to Kit. He could have all the freedom he wanted, with only just a few rules and if he misbehaved, a lightwhip wouldn’t even be far behind. Nope. He could relax without worry, and enjoy his free time because there wasn’t a slave master behind him every step of the way.

As he was making his way down the halls, he took a sniff of the stale air, that didn’t seem...stale? This must be some mistake. How could this be? He thought. Maybe he was just imagining things, but as he made his way into the corridor that led to the kitchen, that was further from the truth. It was fresh air! FRESH AIR! Not like the mining colonies where dust and dirt was thrown around to the point where when you tried to take a deep breath in, all you could do was cough. This was a total relief.

He even took note of the bright blue sky that was outside of the crystal like windows. That was a refreshing sight to see now that he wasn’t in that frigid air.

After a while, he found himself in the kitchens. Now those utensils, pots and pans looked familiar. He knew where he was, but almost as soon as he looked over, he saw someone in the far distance...a...Jedi perhaps? But why did she have pink-hair?

He shrugged his shoulders, and went back to his exploration, but something about her kept getting his attention. The way she stood oh so proudly, and he couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride himself, so, cautiously, he tiptoed over toward her to get a closer look, and spoke.

Meekly, and nervously, he said to her, “H-h-hello? A-are you a J-jedi, or s-s-servant? This place...it-it’s so-so confusing.”

New Jedi Order Council Member
      SWRPG resident Zombie
      Mood:
      Inspired

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      N’yssa perked her head up when she heard the voice. She had only just entered the Compound, and was making her way towards the kitchens to check out what was in the cupboards to work with when the timid voice called out to her. Stopping, she turns to see a young boy staring at her. He seemed nervous, as if he was afraid to even speak the questions on his mind. It only took the Jedi Master a second more to realize the boy was Force Sensitive, she opened up to the Force and sensed the power the young boy had within him.

“What do you think?” N’yssa asked, a smile on her lips. She thought it might be fun to let the boy figure that out himself. “C’mon, I was on my way to the kitchens to find something to eat, maybe we’ll find some snacks. What do you like? Cookies? Something with chocolate?”

N’yssa moved forward into the kitchens and towards the pantry where she knew the Temple’s cooks prepared a few delicious goodies for the passerbyer. She assumed the boy followed her, she hoped he did.

“You must be new here.” N’yssa said as she found a few tins of various kinds of cookies and set them down on the nearby table. “Having fun exploring the Temple?”

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      He looked over at the cookies and back at N’yssa. He didn’t know what they were. He tilted his head in a ****-eyed position as his gaze went back towards the pink-haired Jedi. Then, as if by a split second decision, he found his hand going into a bag of cookies and taking out a chocolate chip. He looked at it, then scratched his head.

“This is a c-c-cookie?” He stammered. Noticeably his hands were shaking as he brought the cookie to his mouth and took a bite of it. He groaned at the taste of the cookie. For the first time in his life, he had gotten a taste of real food. Everything that he had from the slavers he used to be a part of was nothing but slop, but this, this was heaven.

“This is good,” he said with a mouthful of food. The crumbs splattered all over the place. As he took his last bite of cookie and swallowed, he looked down at the floor, and his face turned red, and he sheepishly looked away.
      “S-sorry about th-th-that ma;am. I didn’t mean to. You’re not going to hit me now are you?”

Then suddenly he realized where he was, “Oh, I guess not. That’s a huge sigh of relief. You see missus, I’ve always been the brunt of all the beatings by the slavers. It was awful. Oh, and to answer your question, yes, I’m new here and yes, I’m enjoying the venture of the Temple.”

SWRPG resident Zombie
      Mood:
      Inspired

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      It took N’yssa only a second to realize the kid was not only malnourished but must have lived a difficult life so far if he didn’t know what a cookie was. Part of her wanted to give him all the cookies in the world, but knew if he had grown up with little nutrients, too much sugar wouldn’t help his frail body.

“I never hit my students. Unless it’s during combat training and it’s not that hard.” N’yssa said, keeping her words as truthful as possible. She didn’t want to scare the kid away.

“I’m glad your enjoying your new life here. But I have to ask, how did you get away from the slavers to find your way here of all places?” N’yssa wondered what special event in the boy’s life lead him to Yavin 8. As a slave, he must not have had too many chances of escape, if he escape - it would have been very difficult.

As she waited to hear his answers, she began to pull out a bunch of fresh vegetables to cut up for a stir fry. She boiled some water for rice and searched for something with high protein for the kid, some meat of some kind to fry.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      As he gulped down the few cookies he had, Kit licked his lips and sighed with satisfaction. He wiped his lips and smiled at N’yssa and nodded. He was about to answer her when the smell of the rice had wafed over his nostrils. He sniffed in the rice, and the smell of the boiling water along with the white grains made his mouth water. He couldn’t believe what he was missing out in the real world beyond the whips and sounds of shackles clicking and clunking behind him. Freedom was amazing.

He thought about N’yssa’s inquiry long and hard. He thought about the best way to answer it. He was unsure about how though. He didn’t know how she would feel if she knew he had been in Wild Space with a group of slaves in a mining colony, or a fugitive on the run after breaking free the first time, or how she would feel if he was the only one left alive on a deserted ship that crash landed on one of Yavin’s moons so he took in a long drag of air and sighed while rubbing his belly as it growled.

“Well, ma’am, it actually all started while I was in Wild Space working on one of those mining colonies. It was extremely hot and we were working. I managed to slip out of my chains when the bosses weren’t looking. I almost made it out when I felt the end of a whip lashing out at me. I cringed at the sound as the big boss lassoed me and thrust me back into the fray. It was awful ma’am, and I mean awful. Flash forward to me being here….”

It was a long story. He looked at the rice as it boiled and the veggies as they were steaming. He licked his lips again and couldn’t wait to get his hands on real food. He was so malnourished that he could eat a wild boar. He laughed out loud at his own thought. After the laughter had subsided, he cleared his throat and continued on with his story.

“What led me here, was kind of a sense. My ship...well the slave owner’s ship I was on had crash landed. Little did I know it would be here. I had been sleeping when the event had occurred, and wondered why I had been left alive. But, anyway, after the crash, or what I had assumed was a crash, and when I had investigated it, everyone was dead but me. I thought it was odd, but I sensed that something was guiding me out of there, so I found my way into the cockpit to take a look at thing, and my, er, the ship ma’am, sorry about that; my brain is a bit scrambled still, told me that it had been heading to an unknown location. Unknown was right. I managed to get out of the ship safely with no repercussions, and found my way here following the sense that was somehow guiding me. Weird huh?”

He was getting tired from all this talking. He couldn’t remember the last time he talked this much. His mouth started to salivate from dehydration, and the room started to spin, “Um, may I have a glass of water please? The room is spinning and I’m thirsty.”

SWRPG resident Zombie
      Mood:
      Inspired

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      “Water, of course.” N’yssa grabbed Kit a glass and filled it with water. Setting it down in front of Kit, she couldn’t believe how much the boy went through. She thought he was mis-used and neglected, but a slave... on a mining colony! It was outrageous. How could anyone still use slave labour these days?

“You’re braver than I thought. Not to mention lucky. Out off the nearby planets, to crash onto Yavin 8 is a wild coincidence. Obviously the Force has something special in plan for you.” N’yssa said, returning to the stove to finish cooking meal.

“Did you tell anyone about the crash when you arrived? As much as I hate whomever is using slaves for labour, I don’t like the idea of leaving those bodies out there. They may have families of their own who are worried about them.” N’yssa turned to Kit, hoping he wouldn’t get upset at what she said next.

“That company will be looking for that ship too. Hopefully if I can talk to them and make arrangements with the crew and the wreckage I can keep you out of their hands permanently.”

N’yssa dished out the rice on two plates, along with the vegetables and meat with a sweet and sour sauce on top. She set the plates down on the table and sat across from Kit.

“Don’t worry. You’re a Jedi now and nobody’s going to force you to do something you don’t want to do. It’s freedom - in a way.”

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      He drank the water down in one gulp and took a gasp of air. It was good to be tasting water again. Heck, it was good to be tasting anything again. It was nice to have this freedom, and even better to have someone who seemed to genuinely care about his well-being.

He had heard tales of the Jedi and how they took care of people from passersby and heard tales of great deeds throughout the galaxy, but he never thought he would be one of them, and how N’yssa spoke of the Force as a living entity piqued his curiosity even more, and that made him smile. The compassion that she showed was still overwhelming, but was something he could get used to.

As soon as she asked about the ship, he realized that he hadn’t told anyone about the carrier out in the wilderness. He smacked his forehead against his palm, “No, I haven’t. I’ve been so busy exploring the Temple that I had forgotten about the craft,” he finished as N’yssa dished out the rice plates.

As he forked some rice, he asked her, “What are you going to do? I’d like to see.”

SWRPG resident Zombie
      Mood:
      Inspired

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      What was she going to do? Logically N’yssa knew it was her responsibility to not only report the crash, but to also make sure those who died are given the proper respect. Even though she despised their use of slaves, child slaves at that.

N’yssa glanced over at Kit, unsure what to do with him. She didn’t want him to return to the site, worried it may traumatize him even further. But she needed him to guide her through the wilderness of Yavin 8.

“Well… first we’ll have our meal.” N’yssa said, “Next, I’ll have to report the crash. I’ll have to head back to the crash site and figure out who to contact. I’ll mark the location, and make sure everything is in order. There will be bodies to count, to lay out and give them the proper respects deserved.” N’yssa paused and glanced over at Kit.

“I don’t want to expose you to the site, but I’ll need your help to find the ship. Will you help me Kit?”

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      He was reluctant to help at first, but he understood the magnitude of the task at hand. To some, it may just be an ordinary crash site, but to explorers, it’s an opportunity to salvage some of the junk on board, and, maybe, just maybe, loot all the bodies on board, and then, call the appropriate authorities. Kit did have an active imagination for a slave.

He took a bite of his rice plate, and nervously gulped it down. Took him a few minutes before he answered N’yssa, “S-sure,” he replied, “I’ll help. I’ll even go to the site with you. I need to find closure and let the past go before I can begin my training, I think.”

He couldn’t believe how light-hearted and unassuming that N’yssa was. He thought everyone in the galaxy was the same hive mind, but boy was he glad to find out he was wrong. He eased up a little bit more and took another bite of his food, but this time, he smiled. He felt safe with this Jedi Master. He just hoped all that he met was like her.

“Absolutely. When do we begin? Who will we notify about the ship and what will we do to pay our proper respects as it were. I’ve never done anything like this before so I have no clue on what we are doing.”

SWRPG resident Zombie
      Mood:
      Inspired

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      N’yssa smiled at the young boy, his words were wise beyond his years, with so much truth. She only hoped such closure would come. Concern still filled her body as she thought out the right tactic to use when dealing with slave users. Kit would have to be kept out of site when the owners of the ship and the cargo arrive. The less they talked about Kit in particular, the hope N’yssa had that it will all blow over. They will assume the slave boy died and Kit will be free to live the life of his choice.

One thing at a time though.

“We’ll start after we eat. You skin and bones and need some fat and muscle on you.” N’yssa said, a teasing smile on her lips. “After your done, we’ll head out and locate the site. I need the ship’s manifest, it’s serial number and name to track their flight plan and figure out who was waiting for them on the other side. From there I’m confident that I’ll find those who need to know about it and let them deal with the rest.”

“As for paying our respects… that’s hard to put into words. But I’ll show you when the time comes.” N’yssa looked down at their plates. She was halfway finished with hers while Kit had his almost completely done. She smiled, and offered the leftovers to eat up while she finished her meal. He needed as much nourishment he could get.