• Worried
  • YeeHaw
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Home Sweet Home

Thumbs Up
      Received: 2
      Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
      She nodded and threw the pieces away before grabbing a small wet rag that was on the edge of the sink to wipe down the counter. "I can, a bit. Nothing fancy. Sometimes you have to take a skiff or shuttle out to see what's wrong that can't be simulated in the hangers. Still need work on coming and going," she laughed remembering the last time she had come into the hanger and misjudged the landing enough to hard pop the plascrete. "But once clear of the hangers, I can manage well enough. Did you need me to take a shift?" Once more, her assumption that this was more of a working arrangement came to the front of her mind.

She rinsed the small cloth and stood with her hands on the counter as she watched him move. The form of a wolf was fitting, she mused to herself. His body was sinewy like a predator but not graceful like a nexu. He was more power packed than subtle. And his grace was all angles instead of softness. It still made her heart race thinking of seeing him like that. And race harder when she remembered she had actually stepped towards him to put herself between him and Daryn. It had been foolish, but something had told her she was safe. And she knew she couldn't let him lose himself in a moment of rage like that.

Most folks wouldn't forgive themselves. She was hoping if it wasn't a kill to protect situation, Syra was one of those who would regret a death that wasn't absolutely necessary.

0 Not allowed!
      "Not right now, but in the future either I or Tomas can help you with the controls of this ship," he smiled, chuckling. "It's definitely not a skiff." In fact, he had to take some time to learn all the controls that were available on this model, the yacht handling much smoother, but also had other options that kept it from feeling like a freighter also.

Watching her clean up, she reminded him suddenly of Nallia, flashes of memory returning like a tidal wave as they had the last few months. He had to snap back from the past to remind himself where he was and with who. That chapter still unfinished, he hoped that she was alright and though the story that he had gotten from the cantina's security feed only told him so much, Myra had filled in the rest. Syravari was still going to have to see her just to make sure that she was where she wanted to be now, even if that meant he had to say goodbye.

That was a day and moment that he wasn't sure he wanted to come to pass.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      "Syravari?" Myra said his name a bit louder. When she had gotten his attention, she was on his side of the counter, almost in arms reach. Her face was full of concern and she was fighting the desire to reach out to touch him. "I said are you ok?"

His musing had addled him for long enough to miss her response to his statement as well as her first inquiry if he was ok. When Myra saw his mind was back in the present, she softened her face to a tender smile. "Where'd ya go, boss? Anything you want to talk about? Sometimes strangers are easier conversation partners."

She had no idea what his mind had been wandering about, but given time she probably would have guessed.

0 Not allowed!
      His gaze shot to her face as she called to him and he grinned apologetically. "Yeah, sorry." He shook his head and moved to leave the kitchen and get back to the bridge. "Just.... thinking about Nallia for a moment." Saying her name prompted the pirate to turn again and eye the mechanic, knowing she had been good friends with his lost love for a while. "How well did you know her?"

The thought of her being gone was still burning him, keeping him up nights pacing the hallways and making up reasons to take an extra shift in the bridge. Brannoc had even mentioned that he was drinking more than normal, his favorite brandies emptying faster than they had in the past.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Myra followed in silence for a moment as she started to trail him on the way to the bridge. Her memory for corridors and halls kicking in as she mentally mapped the ship in her head. She didn't have an eidetic memory, but once she'd walked a hall, or passed a room, she'd be able to find it again.

"We were friends. I met her two or three days after she was dropped off. Brannoc had told her that the help they needed for finding you wouldn't accept a stranger in their midst. Since Syra hadn't vouched for her to them, yet, they had to leave her here. I mean on Drifter's. Brannoc said they'd be back." She sighed because she had told Nallia they were lieing.

As they reached the bridge, Myra stopped in the doorway and crossed her arms and leaned on the frame. "It's my fault..." she finally said and looked down at the floor, fearing what she would see in Syra's face.

0 Not allowed!
      Reaching the bridge, it's cream and rich wood textures offering a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere, though right now Syravari felt anything but. He turned to her as she stopped in the doorway and grinned, shaking his head. "No, it's not. She had it in her mind that I wasn't coming back, even with as long as we had been together and I always promised her the opposite," he declared and sat in the captain's chair, facing her. He sighed, "I'd been captured by a rival and... went through a lot with that idiot. When Brannoc and the crew showed up, I was a mess and they had to get me to the medbay. They could have called her at any time. I could've tried to get back to Drifters faster. There are a lot of scenarios that could have happened, but they didn't. But, none of those things had anything to do with you."

He eyed her for a long moment, regret in his eyes which soon flashed to determination. "My mother used to tell us when we were young that some things are just written in the stars and there's nothing you can do to change it. I for one, choose to make my own luck. We're going to find her again."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Myra listened and felt her heart sink. When Syra turned to look at her, despite her best efforts, she looked back up and was caught in his gaze. "No, that's just it. It is my fault." Her knees started shaking and she moved to the closest seat and collapsed into it as if all her strength was leaving her.

She shook her head and realized that when she was done talking, Syra would most likely dump her on the next planet he passed. And something told her he wouldn't care if it had an atmosphere. Looking back up, she took a deep breath. She had to tell him, regardless of the consequences. "You deserve to know it wasn't your fault. Honest. Nallia held out till the end that you were coming back. She spent her creds on a room till they ran out, then slept in the Cantina like a couple other serving girls. She didn't even care that that mook of a boss was keeping every cred she made in tips. She was grateful to have a place that was relatively safe. I tried to get her to sign on to a few other ships, go back out, learn the trade. But she refused every time. She said if you came back and found her gone, you'd think she had given up on you."

Myra sighed. "She loved you. A few days before she left, I finally got her to believe you weren't coming back. It had been so long..." she couldn't help it. She started to cry. "Then when everything happened in the cantina, that man you saw her leave with, doted on her and wooed her so at the end, she left with him. She sent me a message once. Didn't tell me where she was. Only that she was happy and in love and learning more about herself than she ever thought possible." She couldn't look away, the pain of her part in his own pain was evident. Her voice cracked and fell to a bare whisper. "I'm sorry, Syravari.... I am so terribly sorry."

0 Not allowed!
      His tough exterior quickly melted when she began crying, wanting to move to her and hug her, but he remained in his chair, leaning over, forearms on his thighs as he listened. Eyes to the floor, he felt his own heart melting in those moments and he finally sighed, hating sometimes that he was softer than most pirates than he knew plying the lanes. They were right after all, he mused.

When she finished and apologized, he shook his head, eyes red and misted. "Listen to me," he stated, gaining her attention. "We all make our own choices, regardless of those around us, so don't take all this on yourself." His gaze serious, though the intention behind them more sympathetic than she realized right now. "Only thing that matters right now is where we go next."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Anger, rage, hate, even dismissal... those things Myra had been expecting. Those things she could have braced for, accepted, made sense of.

But he forgave her... he understood...

Myra looked at him and shook her head. She didn't know how not to take it all on herself. But as he continued, forgiving her, and telling her that it was all right, she had to speak. "I'll go wherever you want. And when we find her, I'll tell her how wrong I was. I promise. I know, now, that you wouldn't have ever left her that long if anything else had been possible." She lifted her hand and wiped her cheek on the back of it.

Rising up slowly, it took two tries to stand on her own, she nodded to him. "I should let you be. I'll be in my room, if that's all right." She started to turn. "And Syravari, Sir... if you want, I can stay on Axxila. You don't have to keep me, honest. I have enough creds to keep me in good shape till I snag a job. Engineers are always wanted and Axi is a bustling hub. You wouldn't even have to feel bad about leaving me there." Her voice tried to remain up beat, as if staying there was what she had wanted all along, but her voice cracked and the fear was in the words even if not in her look.

She finally turned her back on him and stepped across the threshold into the hallway to head back to her room.

0 Not allowed!
      His brow furrowed at her self deprecating mood and he straightened as she moved to leave the bridge. "You leave my crew, then you do so on your own. I've never cast anyone out yet and not about to now. We've always been good judges of character and I know that trait hasn't ended yet, so make yourself at home and when you're through putting up with us, then we part ways mutually, but don't for a second think that I don't need a good mechanic," his emotion threatening to boil over as he spoke, though somehow he kept it together.

"Hired you on for your skill and the fact that you have a good heart and a backbone," he pressed out a grin. "No regrets."

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      His words made her pause. He wasn't mad. The respect she already had for the man rose even higher. Something in her clicked into place. She'd found a home and family that she somehow knew, already, she would defend to her last breath.

Hearing the catch in his breath, Myra turned to face him. Seeing him sitting in the chair, half turned to her, a flat smile pressed to his lips that didn't meet his eyes, made her heart clench. Taking a couple steps back into the cockpit, she moved to crouch in front of him, her hands daringly set on his knees as she looked up at him. Her voice was soft as she spoke.

"I'm sorry. You're right. You wouldn't kick me out and I was wrong to assume that." She didn't add that she felt she already knew him thru Nallia. But her smile spoke volumes. "We're family now...like you said. So I want you to know that I appreciate that. And if there's anything I can do to get her back for you, I will. You have my word."

Not wanting to linger and force more from him than he desired, she rose once more headed for the door. "I'm here for you, Syravari...just as you were for me. Please know that." Her parting words left the impression that she meant that with more sincerity than most folks who spoke that.

0 Not allowed!
      Her proximity made him clam up more, knowing he didn't know her well enough to cry on her shoulder, so he bottled it all up until she was well in her own suite. Nodding, he took a deep breath and let it out slowly, hoping she didn't notice and once she returned to the doorway, he relaxed a bit more. "I appreciate that," he bid as Myra was about to leave. "Bodil can get you up to speed on the rest of the systems after breakfast in the morning and at some point, if I'm not here, I'm sure Tomas can show you the ropes here in the bridge."

He let her go on to her room. "Night."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      She didn't look over her shoulder. If he was stoic, she knew it was a fašade. And if he was tearing again, she was sure he wasn't the kind of guy who would want her to know. She nodded once. "G'night, boss," were her parting words as she went back to her room and crawled into bed.

She had found a home and family... but in Syra, she knew there was something more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234