• YeeHaw
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2
      Given: 0

Coming into her own.... (KAIE)

1 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up!

Rynn was tired. The heat beating down from the blaze of the sun wasn't letting up. She knew it wouldn't, it never did. Day after day, with occasional respites in the middle of the night, the heat bore down heavier than the blankets that covered the top of her family's stall.

She was lucky, though. Her village on Jakku had sprung up around a well that, so far, hadn't shown signs of going dry. Small buildings, more permanent tents and several wagons settled as firmly in the desert sands as they could, had become houses and shops in the small village. Rynn's family was there to sell their wares in the bizarre that happened all day, every day. People said that years from now this would be a bustling city, and those few who began this way would become the merchants the city was built on. Rynn just wanted to return to their small one room house and find shade as low to the round as she could squeeze her body.

She smiled and sold the pots her sister made and the cloth and blankets her mother had woven. It was her turn at the table and like a good first daughter, she did just that. Her own abilities at the clay tables was abysmal, and her stitching and weaving was never good enough for her father. So she sold her family's crafts while she pondered on the things she was good at. She could talk to someone and instinctively know something was wrong, even if they denied it. She had calmed down more drunks and angry men in the town than her father liked. But since good always came of it, at least thus far, he merely watched to see if any of what she did would be seen as inappropriate. And she always seem to get out of the way in the nick of time. If something was falling, she side stepped. If something was coming at her, she dodged it.

That's when the screams started...

Rynn snapped from her revelry to glance swiftly around to see where the noise was coming from. Stepping around the table, the brunette raised a hand to press long hair from her face. She turned up then down the bizarre trying to guess where the chaos had originated. Suddenly a swarm of people rushed past and she saw the reason for the panic. A speeder, out of control, or recklessly driven, was hurtling down the alley between the stalls. It was knocking down everything in its way. The heat from its underbelly singing materials, fruits, and anything it happened to pass over in its rush.

Suddenly a young boy tripped a few stalls up from where Rynn was standing. She knew no one was paying attention and that the speeder would seriously harm, if not kill, the child if it even managed to clear his curled up body.

Without thinking, she ran towards him. She saw the hunk of steel barreling towards the same target. The two were in a race. But something told Rynn she wouldn't make it in time. A small surge of panic rose in her and she cried out already feeling her failure. A pulse of Force power, untrained, unbridled, and unknown to the young woman, burst from her like a wave of heat. Suddenly she was rolling on the ground into a nearby table as the speeder swept by in a roar of mechanical rage. It was only then she heard the sob and felt the shiver of the small bundle in her arms. A woman's strangled cry of thanks echoed as if from far away in her ears. The child was pulled from her arms and the crowd swiftly moved slightly to the side as mother and son were reunited.

Rynn managed to get to her feet, shuffle between a couple of the nearby buildings to where shade offered her a bit of comfort. Sitting down, she pulled her knees to her chest and rested her forehead on them and fought the urge to pass out.

((OOC....This char was approved over a year ago, this is a backup/reboot of her thread due to loss of Master before things got started, ABOUT will be updated within a couple days))

Thumbs Up
      Received: 3
      Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
      The vastness of the dunes painted in ocher and tan and light maroon offered an artist a gorgeous backdrop, were it not for the heat that came along with it. Jakku hadn't been on anyone's vacation list, but Kaie had a premonition that she couldn't ignore. One that had driven her to hire a freighter and travel to the backwater in search of someone special. Dressed in light tans and white, the white witch kept the Force close as they searched one village after another, until that aura became stronger. A bright spot in the otherwise neutral or quiet morass of color.

However, the longer she was here the more she came to appreciate the hardy people that survived this planet and made it their home.

The midday shopping in the town's small square seemed to be universal as Kaie watched kids hauling salvaged parts alongside the occasional droid, sunbeaten and tarnished from the unrelenting sun, tend to their own daily chores. Keeping two canteens seemed to be just enough, but only for a few hours as she mulled among the stalls, knowing that face that she sought, but more in the Force than actual features. Someone needing to understand their gift.

Din of conversation was suddenly interrupted by the whine of repulsors, prompting Kaie to turn and gaze through to the nearby lane in time to see the explosion of activity and screams that followed it along the tangle of support beams and rope. Sprinting toward the vehicle, she barely caught sight of the slender form flying across the speeder's path and disappeared into the table, tossing clay pots and other debris in every direction. Empowered by the Force, Kaie reached out with both hands, mentally grasping the speeder and slowing it down, just enough for two men to jump in and stop it, skidding to a halt only feet from a water vaporator.

Taking a deep breath, she leaned over and let go of the universal flow having given her that small chance to stop the chaos. But, unfortunately not before some were injured, she was sure. Rising again, she turned and gazed now through the recovery effort as thinly built humans and aliens now tried to reclaim anything salvageable, but green eyes fell to a scene that demanded more attention. Hugging her daughter as she wept, the mother and two others comforted a young girl apparently nearly caught in the path of the rogue speeder. Moving to assist, Kaie instead noticed the fading aura of the one she had come here to find. Boots crunched in the sand toward the mother first, and she knelt as Kaie checked over her small frame.

"You okay," the healer and Jedi Master inquired, gaining a nod. Smiling, she rose again and turned toward the savior now balled up and somehow forgotten. Or perhaps that''s how she wished to be right now. Nearing the girl, stepping over several broken glass jars, a weathered barrel and tossed table, Kaie knelt before the girl. "That was a brave thing you did."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Rynn was shaking. She couldn't have been as far from the kid as she thought. Maybe the speeder wasn't moving as fast as it appeared. That had to be it. The narrow streets, the panic. The speeder must not have been going that fast. Just seemed like it cause it was coming straight at them.

She glanced sideways as a voice echoed near her. She saw the dark haired lady and stared at her. As she came over and spoke to Rynn, she looked up completely at her. Eyes of dark brown looked and blinked as if trying to focus. "The speeder wasn't as close as I thought." If it wasn't that close, and she hadn't run that fast, why was she so tired all of a sudden. She felt like she had run the length of the bizarre... twice.

Trying to chase the thought from her head she nodded to the kid. "They all right? The kid going to be ok? I hit the ground pretty hard." She reached up to brush the hair from her face, her once neat pulled back hair a tangled mess around her ears.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      "She's fine," Kaie reassured, smiling. "I'm Kaie, Jedi Master from Ossus," she introduced and let the title sink in, though she knew that sometimes it wasn't the important part of her life. What she did with her own gift was. Resting back slightly on her left foot and right toes, "I came here because of a dream that the Force gave me about you, a week ago. You pushed your father's arm out of the way when he was about to be burned by spilling water in a pot on the stove. Remember that?" Kaie had seen the moment as if she was there, though still had at the time only caught the aura of this girl before her instead of the physical individuals. But it was enough.

"I've been training others to use their gift in the Force for some years now and I'd like to help you understand yours. If you wanted," Kaie offered, though as the tumult of the continued recovery effort began to subside, she felt the presence of two older people approach from behind her, prompting green eyes to turn and notice the older man and his apparent son.

"Rynn," her father knelt beside Kaie and smiled at his daughter. "You saved that girl's life. Well done," he congratulated, calloused hand on hers. "I'm proud of you."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Rynn was relieved the child was fine. And when Kaie introduced herself, it was a polite nod that came from Rynn. But then the Jedi mentioned helping her hone her skill and the young woman's eyes flew open in surprise. "No, no I'm no Force user. You've made a mistake. I can't be!"

Suddenly her father was there taking her hands. She glanced at Kaie with warning as she responded to her father. "I'm all right Pa. Honest. This is Lady Kaie... she ummm.. she saw the accident and just came to make sure I was all right." She looked from her father back to the Jedi as if silently pleading not to call her a liar.

"Thank you, Lady. I thank you for checking on my daughter. What can I do to thank you?" He looked at the woman as if the robes were something he didn't recognize and she was merely a woman crouched with him over his daughter.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      The apparent fear of the revelation caught Kaie offguard, thoughs she allowed that Rynn didn't wish to be faced with this truth at the moment, though lying to her father was out of the question. Green eyes turned to the patron of the Force user before her, "Nothing's necessary, but thank you," Kaie returned her gaze to the ebon haired girl before her. "She's the one that saved the little boy, not me."

He smiled proudly and patted Rynn on the hand, "Indeed." Rising, he moved to help his daughter rise as her brother looked on. "We've been trying to keep these kids out of trouble and just glad that she was able to help save a life instead of take one."

"Well," Kaie stood as well, backing a few steps to give Rynn some room. "You've done a great job, sir."

"Thank you," his pride continued. "Lady? You're a noble?"

Kaie's mouth fell open, "No," she chuckled. "I'm a Jedi." A proclamation that prompted his mouth to fall open as Rynn's brother's gaze shot to her as well.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      The father frowned slightly and nodded. "I see...," he said with just enough inflection to keep him on the right side of insulting the woman. "Well thank you for checking on Rynn. We will see to her now." He turned to Rynn and set his hand on her shoulder. "Come on, let's go."

Rynn glanced from Kaie to her her father. "She isn't like the others, Pa. She isn't one of the dark ones." Her words hinted at something more than a mere distrust of Force users.

"They are all the same. You can see Maya, our healer. We don't have any need to witchcraft or dark magic here." His words were firm. He was ending the conversation before it even began.

"Yes, Pa." Rynn nodded meekly and her eyes looked apologetically to the Jedi. Her final glance towards Kaie was one full of humility. "I am so sorry..." her mind came across to Kaie though the girl didn't seem aware anyone would actually hear her thoughts. As her gaze went over her father the telepathic litany continued. "Why do you have to hate everyone. She's not the one who killed Jaren. Why can't you just be nice for once..." the mental sigh finished her thoughts. The words weren't clear, more of a whisper than a scream.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Grinning, she initially moved out of the way to let them pass, then heard the comments between father and daughter. The surprise on her face more than evident and almost a bit insulted, though she had seen many worlds that believed more in superstition than actual fact. Truth that she knew wasn't truth for everyone, she mused as Rynn apologized. Shaking her head, Kaie knew her place wasn't to contradict a father's wishes for his kids, but on this subject she had to say something in her own defense.

"Sir," Kaie soon interrupted, "I'm here only to help, nothing else. If I had practised anything dark then you would've known that right off the bat. I'm a healer working for the temple on Ossus."

He grunted his disapproval, regardless of her tone and continued heading back for their stall.

Sighing to herself, she knew this task of gaining a student wasn't going to be easy after all. But, perhaps something else would present itself soon enough. She instead let Rynn and her family head back to their small store and she instead headed for the mother and her boy, though it seemed that he was fine. Rynn's fast thinking and the Force had saved his life as well as kept him from even minor injuries. Thankfully, she mused.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      After about ten minutes of helping the others cleanup, Rynn managed to seperate herself enough to seek out Kaie who was helping those who needed it. Being a healer hadn't impressed her father, but it had her. She busied herself helping pick up shards from broken pots a few feet from the Jedi. Unaware her thoughts would be heard by Kaie, as well as her words, she spoke to the woman without glancing her way much.

"I am sorry, my father didn't mean to insult you, It's just his way of dealing. ~Stubborn man~. She set a stack of shards on a nearby blanket the man was using for the trash. "I don't know if I have the power you speak of, because we don't get Jedi here often. ~No one's tested the village in years~." A huge sigh, both mental and audible escaped the girl's lips. "I want away from here. I don't believe I'm evil, but I want to do more than sell blankets. ~And I don't have anything else anyone considers a skill~." The spoken and thought of litany gave Kaie a glimpse deeper into the girls flashes and bits of thoughts.

Years ago masked people descended on the village in search of a man no one knew. They hurt a lot of folks, claimed to be Jedi seeking 'justice for the galaxy' because the man was wanted for murder. The visions the Rynn's mind leaked were of black cloaked Sith Lords and Ladies. There were perhaps a half dozen. There was fire, pain and loss in the memories. One of the strongest being her father holding a young man no older than Rynn was now, though the perspective of the memories seemed to leave Rynn as a much younger child.

"Meet me tonight, by the well." She nodded over her shoulder to a well near the center of the market. "If you think you have use of me, I will go with you. ~Either way, I won't be home when the sun rises~." Her hands then gathered up the blanket and she helped the man carry it away towards a cart brought in to haul off the useless pieces left in the wake of the runaway speeder.
      Last edited by Rynn Altair; 02-14-2018 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Formatting

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Assisting where she could, Kaie glanced over to the girl who had found a way to escape and as she listened, the Jedi knew that this would have to be handled carefully. Waves in the Force from the girl caught Kaie's attention and prompted her to open herself to the thoughts, seeing the images flash through her mind, even without trying. Initially she felt bad for intruding, but then she realized that the girl was intentionally showing her things that she couldn't voice in the crowd now helping with the cleanup.

Picking up a large piece of clay pot, Kaie carried it over to the cart and heard the proposed plan for that night. "This has more to do with you. I came here to help you understand your gift, but if you want to leave, you should at least tell your father that you're leaving. Don't make him think that I kidnapped you instead. Burning bridges at home only makes things harder later. Better to have a clean conscience when you start your training," she informed, knowing how troubled she would have been trying to become a Jedi and knowing that she had stolen away from her mother and sisters in the night.

"If he approves of you leaving, then I'll be there, but this has to be your choice to go and its only right that he understands that."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Rynn nodded and scurried away. She was planning on leaving, tonight. Either she would be with the Jedi, or on her own. She was having more and more trouble hiding the things that happened when she paniced. The convenience of something just out of reach suddenly ending up in her hands, moving in such a way that a few people had even said she should be a shuttle pilot with her manouvering skills, things like that happened and it was coming to her attention that this was more than just dumb luck.

__

About two hours after sunset, Rynn waited till her siblings were in bed and went outside to the porch where her father was enjoying a smoke. "Father, I'm leaving." She had promised to tell him, and she was keeping her word. She just hoped it didn't end badly. "The Jedi today said I used the Force to save the kid. It's just like when I caught that crate in the warehouse last week and it was so heavy, but I kept it from hitting you."

Her father rose up in anger and spun on her. "You are not leaving here. You are not some witch like that woman and I am not going to let some crazy woman tell you otherwise. You live under this roof and will live by my rules!"

"Pa, please! I want to learn. She isn't a witch and isn't mean like the others. She isn't in black robes, isn't wearing a mask and hasn't done anything but help folks." She tried to plead her case as tears began to well up in her eyes.

"Absolutely not! They are all the same. And I won't have them brainwashing you." He stepped towards her with hand raised to slap her cheek.

Rynn's arms rose in fear as the blow headed for her. As her father stepped forward, the Force came to the young girl's call despite her not realizing it. "NO!" She cried out as a burst left her. Warmth flowed outward and her father lost his footing a couple steps from her and fell foward. It was as if his feet had been shoved out from under him, or he had suddenly tripped on something in front of him.

Yet nothing and no one was close to him.

As Rynn opened her eyes as he yelled while falling, she felt a heat sweep back into her and shook her head. "I am going... please... let me go..." The last words were filled with tears as she ran off the porch and towards the town. The last sound she heard was her father disowning her and calling her cursed.

--
      Shortly afterwards, she was at the well. She crossed her arms to rest her head and wept. Her tears falling silently into the depth of the stone cylinder to make ripples in the town's water though the darkness hid its sound. This is how Kaie would find her if arriving afterwards, or see her if she were already nearby.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Having packed her things, Kaie knew this visit hadn't gone as planned, though she had at least done her part. Sighing, she shouldered her pack and departed the proffered room in the small tavern, walking out into the cool night air. Surprised at how cool a desert became at night, crunching bootsteps continued on through the darkness and toward the town's center. She could feel the presence of someone hurting and couldn't ignore it. Feeling a pull toward this person, Kaie hurried to eventually find Rynn. Not only did the Force empower their supernatural abilities, but also amplified pain sometimes, which Kaie had tried her best to control when these moments arose.

Sitting beside the ebon haired girl, Kaie wrapped her arms around her and laid her head atop the girl's own, and let her weep. Closing her eyes, she knew that sometimes the beginning of an adventure never started out like the storybooks, or a holovid, but in reality. Not everyone embraced being a Jedi, which some saw as heroes of the galaxy while others criticized for not being there when they needed them. Things that every Jedi would have to live with and accept.

Not an easy road, she knew, but a most rewarding one.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Rynn was startled as the woman wrapped her arms around her. No one had shown her compassion when it came to this... whatever it was. Between her sniffles, she managed to stammer. "He said you were cursed. Evil. Like those who killed my brother." She wiped her eyes and nose on the back of her sleeve and turned her head to look up at the woman beside her. "I don't believe him. There is a differnce. A... I don't know.. A feel that I just know somehow, you aren't like them."

She finally straightened up a bit. "I told him I was leaving. He disowned me. Can I go with you now?" The pain and fear of uncertainty was in the young girl's voice and almost tangible in the air around them. Her Force power flared from her like a barely caged animal.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      She listened and felt for Rynn. Having that mentor, especially a parent, say they didn't want you around anymore was something that Kaie didn't understand, but know would hurt her deeply had it come from her own mother. Green eyes stared sympathetically as the girl spoke, sharing that fear of the unknown. Nodding, Kaie took a deep breath and let it out slowly, doing her best to control her own emotions. "Of course you can," she grinned. "You were the reason I came here in the first place."

Rising, she extended her right hand. "You're not cursed. What you do with your gift is the most important thing to work on now. We all have the potential to be tyrants or great friends, even without being able to use the Force. History's proven that." She had seen it firsthand, in fact. "I don't know who those people were that came here before, but I can assure you that no one that I've trained with would ever do something like that. There are evil Force users out there, to be sure. I've faced several."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Rynn wiped her eyes and cheeks then rubbed her hands on her pants before reaching for Kaie's hand. "So I am not evil because I have this..." she just held up her other hand not even sure what to call it. "I though the power was only in the evil. I've never met someone with it who was good."

Realizing the woman might take that badly, she quickly added, "I mean, besides you. I mean... you are a healer, so you're good. But you don't have the powers that they came with that day, do you?" There was a curiosity in the girl. A desire to know the good and bad, but only in hopes of proving to herself that she wasn't evil.

A thought occured to her as she stood up and let go of Kaie's hand. "What did you mean when you said I was the reason you came here in the first place? No one knew... I mean, I didn't know. How...?" The words tapered off as her mind was unable to grasp how someone from outside the village would have any idea what she had done. She had hid it so well from everyone that she doubted anyone knew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast