• Worried
  • YeeHaw
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 14
      Given: 15

Resurgence: Of Wolves and Men (James)

1 Not allowed!
      OOC: Set after Resurgence: What Lies Beneath

Cat Van-Derveld, by his very nature, was not the trusting type. There were very few outside the family that could he could count on and even they were viewed with a cautious eye. Some Sith might try to dominate or destroy their rivals, but Cat possessed an understanding that many Sith did not. He knew very well that a lone wolf, while dangerous in their own right and capable of surviving, was vulnerable in its own way and could not flourish the way a member of a pack could.

"Get me a direct channel to Master Icarus' quarters on Munto Codru."

The spherical comm-droid which hovered in front of Cat's grim throne beeped affirmatively in response, beginning the dialing process, which would no doubt take a few minutes. It was a risky maneuver on his part, but his hand had been forced. Shadowtide and her Apprentice learning of the survival of the people of Dathomir had come far earlier than he had hoped and, should word spread, potentially put his people at risk. Like carrion-birds the Sith would begin to circle, waiting for the opportunity to gorge themselves on everything he had built. As he sat in the barely lit chamber at the heart of the Dathomir Temple, the Lupine Knight vowed he would personally mutilate the first little bird that came pecking and display their flayed, still-living body atop the ziggurat; a screaming reminder of the fate of those who would seek to defile his home...

Darth Reverence
      The Lord of Pain
      Mood:
      Brooding

Thumbs Up
      Received: 19
      Given: 21

1 Not allowed!
      James sat upon the former seat he had on the Council, brought to his own quarters. It was made from obsidian and durasteel which suited him nicely. Smiling as he looked out over Munto Codru the Sith Master sat in it and pondered his next move. Training his newest student, Nalia had gone alright, as he trained her in what he could. Granted, his physical state was still a bit shaky and walked with a cane wherever he went. The Sith Master had an ordeal on Dxun with a cult of Darth Sion who he was emulating himself after. Wanting to learn all he could about pain and how it could be used as a weapon and anything else he could acquire from it. Being prisoner and having his Force energy nearly depleted he was weakened then, but now it was returning and he was almost at full capacity.

Nonetheless, James contemplated things as he sat, the pain of his injuries old and new letting the Dark Side flow through him. As he sat he then heard a beep on the comm behind him. The mini projector would show who was contacting him as he answered it. But, this time, James just used the comm attached to it rather then the projector. Flicking his wrist the Sith Master then opened the channel and then sighed out loud wondering who it was that was wanting his attention. He wasn't a Council member anymore and he wouldn't answer anything other then what he wanted to.

"Yes." James said with a displeased tone, "Who do I have the displeasure of speaking to?"

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      Cat couldn't help but smile at James' tone of voice, dripping with contempt.

"One who seeks your counsel, Master Icarus. I am Cat Van-Derveld, who fought beside you in the battle to claim the world of Dathomir for our Empire. The High Priestess, Sianna, tells me you can be trusted and I have been given no reason to doubt her yet."

Cats words showed the appropriate amount of reverence. Truth be told, James had never shown any signs of being anything but a true Sith, one who valued the old ways. Cat could respect that. He had also, as he had just pointed out, witnessed the Sith Master's prowess in battle. The only things that were a mystery to Cat were Icarus' motives...

"I hope your ordeal on Dxun has not dampened your desire to continue your dark works, as I wish to invite you to partake in more..."

It was now or never. A roll of the dice that could spell doom or destiny.

"Beneath the surface of Dathomir, much still lives that was assumed destroyed by the Cataclysm above...

Darth Reverence
      The Lord of Pain
      Mood:
      Brooding

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
      James heard the voice and it did sound familiar and he perked his brow underneath his mask. Then he remembered Cat, the brother of Vega, who was someone he really despised. In honesty he despised the Van-Derveld clan but didn't openly make it clear how much he did. He'd work with them if it benefited him and if it didn't, well he avoided them or pretended they didn't exist. Which he did that more then anything. Cat spoke of taking Dathomir and he nodded his head as he remembered the part he took on taking the said planet of the Nightsisters. As it was spoken by the High Priestess, Sianna, one of the few students he had taken when his own had left, Raien. They had a mutal respect for one another and he respected her for coming to his aid on Dxun.

"Alright, you have my attention, Cat. I remember you on Dathomir. Though I despise most of the Van-Derveld family, I can't hold that against you. Your brother...Vega I believe is usually the one who gets my ire." James stated as he then smirked at Sianna requesting him for something, "Well I'm flattered that Sianna would give me such high praise."

As Cat spoke of his ordeal on Dxun he knew then that Sianna spoke of it. Didn't bother him the slightest considering that most had known now what occurred. There were hushed whispers and talk around the Sith temple of James being stuck on Dxun with a cult for a few months. That was true, and he'd learned a great deal even if he didn't consider it at the time. When the two Masters had left James exhausted himself destroying them all. Something he wanted and needed to do. It caused a ripple that even some other dark users of the Force could feel if they were near. The Sith Lord speaking to him wondered if he'd continue his dark work and as always James did. He never stopped till he could learn everything about it. What Sion had managed to do and how he did it. He'd keep on it till it took the rest of his life if necessary.

"Always wanting to continue. One never stops, Cat." James said to state a fact, "What is it that you want from me is what I want to know?"

He left it at that. Now he was simply getting to the point of the matter. Whatever Cat wanted out of him, James would consider but there would be a price to pay for his joining a cause. If what Cat said was true there could be things that were collected over the years that the masked Sith Master could use and look at. Of course he had a collection already but he wanted the knowledge of it more and more like it was an obsession. A growing obsession one could add. James wanted to know the ways of the older Sith before the time of Bane, before the Brotherhood of Darkness. Even far back to the Sith Emperor and even further and further back. Things that were learned, passed down, then forgotten after thousands of years. It was time that the ways of old and abilities and such were brought into a new age. Spread fear through the galaxy that the Sith were not going to be taken lightly. The time for hiding among the shadows was done.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      “You and I share similar feelings regarding my wayward brother…” Cat growled, his apparent hatred seeping into his voice, “But most of my kin are gone, scattered I know not where. The few of us who remain are united by blood and common purpose, but our allies are few and our enemies, no doubt, are many.

Though his mood had been somewhat soured by talk of Vega and the missing Van-Dervelds, the Lupine could not resist a grin at James' comment about Sianna's high praise. While the Sith Master may have been flattered, something told Cat that he was not entirely surprised.

The High Priestess and I have endeavoured to keep our operation secret until now, but the Force has had other ideas. Master Shadowtide and her apprentice have become aware and I fear it is only a matter of time before knowledge of our survival becomes widespread.”

Not surprised by the directness of the former Council Member's inquiry, Cat was, in fact, pleased. Icarus clearly had no intention of playing games, which was reassuring; risk and reward was a concept they were both familiar with, it seemed.

“The fire and ash that has blanketed our planet has been a blessing. Dathomir has scoured the weak from her surface, allowing only the strongest to survive. Here we have gathered our strength but there are many who would take advantage. I seek to fulfil my Queen’s dream, of an Empire not of the shadows, but one that unleashes itself upon the Galaxy and purges it as the great cataclysm has. The time is rapidly approaching and, while our strength grows, we may become vulnerable to those who would see us as a threat.”

His eyes dropped to the Jedi's finger bones that were inlaid into the arm of the macabre seat upon which he reclined. How the Jedi had not yet sent anyone to search for the missing apprentice was a mystery. Perhaps the young Jalen Shreve had not told them where he was going, or perhaps the Order simply viewed a rescue mission as too much of a risk, after Judah Lesan and Vega had been taken the last time they attempted such. Either way, it gave Cat time, which was sorely needed.

“Your strength and wisdom would be of critical importance in protecting our people and the future of the Sith Empire. I wish to strengthen the ties between Dathomiri and Sith; to allow us to learn from eachother and flourish. The rewards that would flow from this union would be bountiful indeed; a Galaxy aflame, its planets and its secrets ours for the taking.”

Darth Reverence
      The Lord of Pain
      Mood:
      Brooding

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      James then smirked as he could feel the air between the two of them about Vega palpable, "Seems we have more in common on that then I thought. Enemies among the Sith are many. I do not trust our Imperial allies nor the ones of the Jedi and Republic. Our allies are few...even among us. We cannot keep to the old doctrine of the Sith too much. There comes a day when we must see that we all have a common goal. Many do not see it but I have."

True, James followed the older ways of the Sith mostly. There were times he knew that the Sith needed to adapt or else they'd fall like the old days. The days before Bane, before the Rule of Two and in that regard, they still followed being in the shadows. Not making much headway on their place in the galaxy, and that needed to end abruptly. A storm was coming and James knew he should lead the charge to bring that storm crashing through everything. Subjugate everyone and see that through dark and chaos there would be an order. That the Sith needed to rule once more and this time, it would be permanent. What risk would he take? Many of them. The reward, power, obviously and he would keep it and pass it to those who would come after him. That was his way. Knowledge shouldn't die with them, it lived in others who carried such knowledge.

The words that Cat spoke made a lot of sense and he felt the same way about it, "I agree, Cat. No longer should we live in shadows. The days of the Rule of Two are over. All of us have a common goal...or the ones who see it that way. There is a storm brewing and I have seen it. I wish to lead that storm across the galaxy. We are a threat to all who don't understand as you said we are vulnerable. Together the Sith are strong. Our power unites us, even I am not so old or set in the old ways of the Sith that I cannot see past my nose. Although many still do, it seems that you and I share more in common."

James then pondered the last things that Cat spoke of. His wisdom was vast and his strength and prowess in combat was talked about and he was a legend in his own way. He could protect and do what was needed for the Sith and he was willing to give his own life if it meant protecting everything that the Sith held close. James was loyal to the Sith, to the ideals it had, and he was a master of the Dark Side. The masked man would keep whatever knowledge and secrets hidden from those who'd take them. If anything, James wanted to study them. See what he could learn and impart it to those he felt were worthy of it.

"Alright." James said after a moment, "I'll help you. What's in it for me? If there is anything worth of my study I'll do it. As long as I can study things. What is it that you'd require me to do? Betray my own Master who'd taught me nearly everything? Not like I hadn't thought of that. We all will be replaced at some point. No one lives forever. But, call me old fashioned, it is the student who replaces the Master...as my own will fight one another to replace me. So on and so forth."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Cat couldn't help but be relieved as he listened with rapt attention. It seemed, as James had quite rightly pointed out, that they shared a great deal of common ground. Already the Sith Master had taken the Lupine's fears some way to being alleviated.

"The High Priestess, it appears, was right to direct me to you, Master Icarus," he said, standing up and pacing around the room. Even though the camera was still not active, the comm-droid's gaze followed him as he walked.

"If it can be avoided, I have no desire to make enemies among the members of our Empire. As of now, Master Shadowtide has shown no ill-intent toward myself or my people, but we both know how cunning she has it in herself to be. If she decides to do so, we'll be lucky if we see her coming..." Cat said, his voice betraying how concerned by the possibility he was, "That being said, my ambition is to unite the Sith, not fracture it beyond recognition. In the ideal scenario, we shall not encounter any resistance from our brothers and sisters as we work to achieve this goal; although we both know how likely that is..."

Leaving that uncomfortable topic at that, for the moment, Cat directed the conversation toward the potential benefits that James could gain from his involvement.

"Dathomir is a planet rich in history and soaked in the Dark Side. There is much here that could be of use to you, though you may be better inquiring with the High Priestess when it comes to particular locations that you will find of interest. There is also much to be learned from my people, the Nightsisters and Nightbrothers. I will instruct them to assist you in your endeavours, although I would ask that you limit any studying of them to observation, rather than experimentation."

It was a priority to keep the Dathomiri safe from both allies and enemies alike, of course. Not simply because they would cease to respect his leadership, but that he genuinely cared for them. He may not have been born of Dathomir, but it was the first place he had truly been able to call home. Here, he felt in perfect synchronicity with the ebbs and flows of the Dark Side.

L'ulin d'udossta lodias orn tlu sslig'neus, dalninil. Nindol Usstan iglata...

Deciding that James could indeed be trusted, the Wolf Knight continued.

"I am soon to take an Apprentice, a young Nightsister by the name of Ayleana. She has shown great promise. It is probable that should you desire it, a similar opportunity may present itself to you," the Lupine explained, "Any teachings you choose to pass on can only strengthen the Dathomiri and the Empire as a whole. This, aside from helping to defend what we build together against those who would defile it, is the primary request I wish to make of you."

Darth Reverence
      The Lord of Pain
      Mood:
      Brooding

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      James nodded at the words Cat spoke of. True, his Master was cunning but he knew her better then most in the Sith. Those who also studied under her knew her just as well, like Hydrocus. Though the masked Sith could tell that Cat was concerned about it, but James on the other hand wasn't. The only thing they'd have to fear is the Jedi catching on more then the other members of the Sith, or the Republic for that matter. But, he would listen for this moment as Cat spoke of uniting them, not fracturing the Sith as a whole. Even James knew some had their own ambitions and such and that was scattered if anything. The Sith needed something common to keep them together, not drive the wedge further and he knew that notion all too well.

"The only one who would see her coming is me. I've trained under her for years, and I would know if something was to happen." James said then agreed with his last statement, "There is much to unite us. Much to fracture us, though the ones who have their own ambition are scattered. There is nothing to fear from that."

While Cat spoke of the things that James could benefit from he nodded. It was interesting and James had been to Dathomir a few times. When he faced Killian and then soon after some time down the road when the Sith conquered the planet. As he spoke of Sianna again he then shifted his weight in his seat. Although the planet was rich in power of the Dark Side the Sith Master wondered if Sion had gone there in his days. If so he'd pick up the echoes the Lord of Pain left behind. So far, James had reached Dxun, Dantooine and where Malachor was. The echoes there near Malachor were scattered and he'd only felt the ripples but learned nothing from them. Same went with Dantooine. Dxun he'd have to go back with the tome that Sianna had from the cultists.

"I understand your concern for the people on Dathomir. If they are willing I'd like to experiment. But, I experiment much on myself then most others. I'm a living embodiment of pain, Cat. I'd appreciate their assistance any possible way." James said, "Plus, the power of the dark is great there. It'll help rejuvenate me more then here on Munto Codru."

As the Sith Lord spoke of taking a student and offering James one if he chose he then smiled. True, he could if he wanted to but for now he was content with where he was now. He'd taught many so far and they were flourishing in their own right. James passed on what he'd known to them and if it came to the ones on Dathomir it'd be no different. That is what knowledge was there for. To be learned and passed down so it may continue and not be lost to the generations after him. The Sith Master would teach them anything he could offer. Combat techniques, the ways of the Force and in turn he could learn some from them. There was always learning to be had.

"We shall see if the opportunity for a student comes up, Lord Cat." James said after Cat finished, "But, I'll teach the Dathomiri anything I can impart. I can teach it to you so in turn you can impart that upon others if I am away. I specialize in combat though my skills with the Force don't lack, I'll impart the wisdom of what pain can do. It can be one of the greatest weapons."