• Thinking
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • VeggedOut
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw

Open Wandering quiet halls (OPEN)

0 Not allowed!
      While space gave her a feeling of freedom and openness that the planet couldn't provide, it was always home to her when she came back to the barracks. She had removed the coverings, washed the linens and put her things away. Now it was time to see who was about.

The young mechanic wandered into the common area and headed for the food dispenser. Despite the great food on the Admiral's ship, there were still recipes from here she had missed. Clicking out a chocolate dessert she was particularly fond of, she made her way to one of the comfortable seating arrangements, curled her legs up and watched the cadets and barracks officers go in and out and waited for a familiar face... or perhaps to make a new friend.

(((open to anyone wanting to start something...))))

Thumbs Up
      Received: 12
      Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
      The barracks were just as busy as the living areas of any vessel. Technicians, non-coms, ground crew, administrative types. The commissary was abuzz though plenty of faces had changed. The uniform and the look remained the same. But one face stood out. A young lieutenant, though now a couple years older, sporting the patches for Red Squadron and a number of others. Her chocolate brown hair was pulled back into a severe bun. Her slightly soft features now had a harder cast, but only defined her features, rather than detracted. It was a side effect of continual PT.

As she moved through the crowd, she spoke with a flight officer, also bearing the markings of Red Squadron. She was animated, and as they conversed, she seemed to describe some aerial maneuver using her hands to demonstrate flight positions. The other nodded their understanding, looking a little chagrined. A moment later the two split, with Kayla giving the other a pat on the back and sending them off. They headed in the direction of the simulators, back the way they had come.

With a visible sigh, the pilot made her way toward the line, seemingly in her own world as her gaze rose toward somewhere high on the wall, as though she were looking out through the upper atmosphere.

0 Not allowed!
      Ari watched the folks move in and out and a slight smile touched her lips as she saw Kayla. They weren't super close, but she had been working in the hangers when the young woman had first arrived. She was capable enough with a spano that Ari had instantly taken a liking to her.

As the pilot moved away from the line, Ari raised her hand and called out. "Kayla... come join me..." Her smile was broad and genuine. She didn't look much different from the last time the pilot had seen her, except a bit longer hair and more muscle on her. Ari had gotten in much better shape on the ship. It was a harder life, in space, than on the planet. And she had adapted swiftly.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Like Ari, Kayla was in better shape now than back then. When she heard someone call her name she swapped nose for tail and spun about. Spotting the mechanic she smiled, waved, then gave a nod with her fist. It wasn't always easy to tell when someone nodded in a vac suit, but the hand sign was common, especially among those that worked in space. She held up a finger for her to wait, then gestured to the line.

A couple minutes later she made her way over with a few odds and ends. Some fruit, some pasta dish they made, which was trying to be enduwa but it just wasn't right in the texture. The flavor was still good, so she tolerated it well enough. It still made her miss Corellia though. Luckily there was a good little Corellian place she knew of nearby. Joining that was something resembling a meat protein. She didn't care to ask what it was, but the mystery meat was usually good...ish. Nothing like mom used to make. And last, a couple bottles of water. This she landed with across from Ari.

"Long time no see. When did you make it dirtside," she asked with a grin. "Please tell me Red Squadron's rotating out. I'm so kriffing bored to tears with sims and flying CAP. I'd take a little picket duty just for a change of pace."

0 Not allowed!
      Ari laughed as the woman flopped into the nearby chair. "Just a couple days ago. As for the squadron, no idea. But I'll look into it after the weekend if you want. You know, you can always volunteer for watches. There's always a couple birds up for a while every day from around here."

Leaning back she sipped her own drink and glanced at Kayla. "You seem different from the little strip of a girl who joined my hanger so long ago." She laughed. "I remember coming into the hanger and seeing a scrawny pair of legs sticking out from under one of the fighters and a soft voice cursing the set up of tool boxes. I believe the expression was... 'A ton ton could have organized this better'?" She laughed remembering how long ago and far away it seemed. "Seems piloting, and mechanics, fits you well."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AriannaTalien View Post
      Ari laughed as the woman flopped into the nearby chair. "Just a couple days ago. As for the squadron, no idea. But I'll look into it after the weekend if you want. You know, you can always volunteer for watches. There's always a couple birds up for a while every day from around here."
      She shook her head. "Oh no, I've flown that gig too much. I feel like I've checked every rock in the system so much I've started naming them. I've been thinking about putting in for a unit transfer or something," she said.

Quote Originally Posted by AriannaTalien View Post
      Leaning back she sipped her own drink and glanced at Kayla. "You seem different from the little strip of a girl who joined my hanger so long ago." She laughed. "I remember coming into the hanger and seeing a scrawny pair of legs sticking out from under one of the fighters and a soft voice cursing the set up of tool boxes. I believe the expression was... 'A ton ton could have organized this better'?" She laughed remembering how long ago and far away it seemed. "Seems piloting, and mechanics, fits you well."
      She grinned at this as she started in on the fake enduwa without really tasting it. "You know my family used to build A-wing kits in our garage to feed to the rebellion and then New Republic before factory production really started churning them out, right? I practically grew up in the cockpit of an A-wing or inside the innards of one. Love them for their speed, but even I recognize that the X-wing is a heck of a machine. So I decided to learn both." She shrugged and sighed. "I miss mine. Building them wasn't too much of a problem. It was getting them out of Coronet City and off Corellia at the time. That was a trick and a half. And then into the hands of the good guys."

She thought back for a moment, recalling Ari's story, scrunching up her nose as she did so then grinned. "I guess I kinda am a stickler for keeping the internals organized and neat. I mean no combat unit will ever pass inspection, but the last thing you need is an electrical fire in your targeting computer, navigations, sensors... engine compartment. Any of it." After a second she lapsed into silence with an apologetic look, realizing she was heading into ramble-territory. It was hard to contain her excitement at having Ari there, and someone to talk to and hadn't seen in quite a while.

0 Not allowed!
      Ari laughed. "The boxes were fine.. you are just picky." She took another sip of her drink and enjoyed the silence a bit as Kayla ate. When the woman was close to finishing, Ari had an idea. "Well, if you are interested in sitting in the sims a bit, I have a project I'm working on and could use a pilot." She grinned and this time it was mischievous.

"I am working on some maps of various trouble systems. We use moons on occasion to slingshot ships. Right? So why can't we use other objects? It's merely a question of gravity in the area, slip stream availability in the given direction and clear space to maneuver. If you are willing to land in black holes, get slung into asteroids, and occasionally back into an atmosphere that crushes you..." she laughed at the litany of possible deaths. "I could use a good pilot to play test pilot?"

She had set her work down in her lap and was now looking intently at the woman to judge her reaction. She was taking a risk, bringing Kay in. But she had gone as far as she could alone. She needed someone flying while she navigated. Ari hoped the girl would say yes.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      Kayla nodded, thinking. “Slingshot racing is fun. I did some of it back home. I’ve got a good head for orbital mechanics. They aren’t used as much with inertial dampers but droid ships and droid-piloted ships don’t make use of them. They can handle high-gee maneuvers, unlike us fleshy fun-bags. But if you can handle pulling a baker’s dozen gees with some of the Juice, you can get some serious speed going. Turn off or turn down inertial dampers at the right time and in the right way and you can really pull some things off.

An idea came to her then. “It takes a while to get through a system even on sublights. But this could… theoretically allow a completely ballistic insertion onto a planet or moon. The object in question would just look like a piece of junk or rock entering atmosphere and burning up. Could also use this to extract and get picked up by a ship. And of course, we can use it to drop rocks on a place instead of wasting ordinance.

She flashed Ari a wicked grin. “I’ve been sitting my butt in the sims nonstop but this sounds like fun. Certainly a change of pace. I think I can requisition a simulator or two for it,” she said as she polished her lieutenant rank with a thumb. She’d been a flight lieutenant for a while now, since taking over flight as flight lead for second flight.
      Last edited by Kaylar Luspark; 03-24-2020 at 01:31 AM. Reason: ohh fooey I burned the darn muffins. (omfg)

0 Not allowed!
      Ari laughed loud this time. "Figures I would link up with an adrenaline kicker." Shaking her head, she bit her lip to keep from laughing louder and drawing attention. "If you can, how about a single sim, day after tomorrow. I need a day to get my things from my storage cube and get notes together to figure programming parameters. And you may find certain ships are easier than others, but it's X Wings and other common fighters, shuttles and ships we will be using. The details only work for one to four man ships so far. I can't get the math right with transporters and battle ships, yet. But if we can prove it with smaller fighters and shuttles, maybe I can get the brain help I need from the fleet to work on larger ships."

She bit her lip and giggled. "Ok, so I am a bit excited. I am glad I found you Kay... it's been a while. But hey," she winked and waggled her finger at the younger woman. "No rearranging tool boxes or notebooks on my watch... got it?" She laughed and picked up her glass to hold it towards the pilot. "Here is to slinging ourselves into objects and blowing ships up we don't have to pay for." She laughed again.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
      "I wouldn't dream of it," she said, and raised her own glass and completed the toast before taking a long drink. She silently mourned that it wasn't a good Whyrren's Reserve whiskey. Water would suffice, and wouldn't get them in trouble for drinking while on duty. "You get the sim write-up going and I'll get us a slot or two. If our proofs work, I can get some of the Reds in on it. I'll round up my astromech too so he can check the math and make sure it's good when we get started."

She flashed Aria a bright smile. "I'm happy you're back. It's a lot livelier and more interesting with you around."

0 Not allowed!
      Ari nodded and laughed. "I'm guessing we are moving forward on this." She shook her head and down the rest of her juice. "I figured you'd say yes, but I didn't think I'd end up with a whole echelon to help out.

They talked about times and dates and parted ways with a promise to check back with one another the following day to see if things were set.